Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Best practice for DCT changes with a OD-DD sync
System
With all the major companies that own Interwoven I hope someone has found good advice for the following scenerio:
What is the best practice when utilizing a OD-DD sync for uds metadata that when such a DCT changes - the following scenerio isn't a daily ritual: yesterday - we changed four DCT's deleting a metadata field - then when we re-generated the loaddb.cfg - our OD-DD sync process broke and didn't work anymore - we had to drop all our tables and then re-create them and then re-generate another load.cfg before the process worked as it had before the changes.
Later today we need to add a field to an existing DCT - thus what is the recommended approach to:
1) not have to delete all the tables/dcrs etc
2) the best way to set-up the OD-DD sync so that creating loaddb.cfg isn't a hassle
Thanks
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
If you change the DCT format and you want the appropriate changes reflect in your database you need to recreate the dbschema to reflect the changes.
Later today we need to add a field to an existing DCT - thus what is the recommended approach to:
1) not have to delete all the tables/dcrs etc
You can avoid dropping and recreating the tables by manually running a alter table command using SQL and add/drop the columns required.
2) the best way to set-up the OD-DD sync so that creating loaddb.cfg isn't a hassle
You would still need to generate loaddb.cfg so that the new table schema is in sync with your new DCT.
Hope this helps.
RepeatedTableOverflow.ssd.zip
Migrateduser
Thanks - BTW when you re-run loadb.cfg - I'm using dump files to populate the db so each time I generate it - I have to go ind manually add the following line in the <source> tag - I notice that the teamsite_metadata.dump entry gets geenrated automatically - anyway you know of to do the same with the regular DCT entries:
<!-- Pull DCRs of same type from XML tuple file -->
<xml-formatted-data file = "e:\iwov_dumpdir\dumpdir\commentary_commentary.dump" />
Migrateduser
Another option is to just add/delete the column element in loaddb.cfg.
anyway you know of to do the same with the regular DCT entries:
Do you mean DCR types?
If you mean DCR are you using UDS or wide table format.
Migrateduser
We were thinking about trying that - since esentially the loaddb.cfg file mirrors the dbschema.cfg file.
I do mean DCR types - since I'm using UDS with DAS
I can attach a loaddb.cfg which automatically get's generetaed and the one I modified for refernce if your interested
Thanks
Migrateduser
Please do send your loaddb.cfg. Also if you are using UDS you could reference dbschema.cfg (instead of inline in dd.cfg) file that way you would just need to change/regenerate the dbschema.cfg file.
Migrateduser
OK - here is the file - which is my current loadb.cfg which I modified to suit my needs in regards to using the *.dump files I've created which hold my metadata!
What do you mean by:
"using UDS you could reference dbschema.cfg (instead of inline in dd.cfg) file"
Does this mean from loaddb.cfg call each dbschema.cfg for each dataype with an ln-line call?
Migrateduser
You can use the following only if you are using DD5.6:
you could include your dbschema section within your database.xml as shown below:
<database>
....
</database>
<dbschema name="schema1">
<group name="book" root-group="yes">
................
</dbschema>
<dbschema name="schema2">
<group name="book" root-group="yes">
..................
</dbschema>
and in your loaddb.cfg you can just reference the appropriate schema :
<destinations>
<database use ="db1"
update-type = "standalone"
state-field = "state"
real-update="yes"
delete-tracker="yes"
enforce-ri="no">
<dbschema use="bookdbschema"/>
</database>
</destinations>
Streamshare.zip
Migrateduser
WOW - thanks I am using OD and DD 5.6 so this would work for me - I had no idea you could do that! - I'll try it tomorrow and let you know
Thanks again!