Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
NullPointer Exception on mouseover tooltip
linucksrox
Hi,<br />
I'm getting a NullPointerException on a chart whenever I add anything to the mouseover tooltip text to the Value Series. It works fine on other reports, but for some reason this particular report doesn't like it.<br />
This is BIRT 3.7.2, and I verified the only change to the report XML was the single line change from <br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
...
<Text></Text>
...
</pre>
to<br />
line change from <br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
...
<Text>"Example";</Text>
...
</pre>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
I wasn't able to reproduce this. Can you recreate the issue with the sample database and attach the report? Thanks!
linucksrox
Sorry it took so long for me to get the chance to do this. I created a report with the same structure as my real report using the sample database. Right now I'm not sure why the pies aren't displaying, but sure enough when you add anything to the tooltip text for the valueseries mouseover, it causes the error when viewing the chart. The report is in the error state right now. I wish there was a way to get this working, so thanks for looking at it!
By the way, I'm having trouble uploading the file, I keep getting the error message "Error This upload failed" even after logging out and back in. Here's a public dropbox link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10455940/mouseover problems.rptdesign
mwilliams
Can you try zipping up the design and putting attaching it? I've tried saving the dropbox file and copying the xml to a design and haven't gotten it to open. Thanks.
linucksrox
That's frustrating that dropbox doesn't let you actually download the file instead of trying to display it in the browser. I've had that happen with videos too... Okay, so I attached the zipped file.
mwilliams
Ha. My BIRT was having issues with the copied in xml, yesterday. When I saved the zipped version you attached and opened 3.7.2, today, the report where I copied it in was up and running just fine. Not sure what was up with that. Anyways, now I have two copies.
Taking a look, now.
mwilliams
This appears to only be an issue with the pie chart, which is why I wasn't able to recreate it before. I copied the design over to the newest version and there were no issues. It appears that this is a bug that was resolved. I have not been able to find a bug report for it, though, to see if there is a patch.
linucksrox
Bummer... I wonder what's causing the bug? I don't know if it's related to the fact that some data is coming from the table or if it has to do with the chart being contained in a grid... I could try using a single chart element to get a similar layout, it's just so much more tedious to go that route. Thanks for looking into it!
mwilliams
Sorry. I'll let you know if I find anything to fix it. Let me know if you find a way around it, as well.
linucksrox
Sounds good. Right now I'm trying my hand at the single chart, so hopefully that's less error prone as long as I can get the layout I need. Thanks for the help.
mwilliams
Got an easier fix for you. I think I stumbled upon this before, now that I just did it, and just forgot about it. Anyways, change the pie chart into a bar chart, save the report, run it, it'll work. Then, change it back into a pie chart and it'll work still. Very weird.
linucksrox
Awesome! Yea that's a strange bug, but it's an easy enough fix. It worked on my production report. I did compare the two documents with winmerge, which revealed several differences between the default tooltip and a custom tooltip, whereas before, simply adding a tooltip would only change one line of the xml. I still don't understand the bug, so your solution is still the easiest! Thanks again for all the help, that's a nice feature to have working.