Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Problem with cascading parameters
xARNOx
Hello dear community,
well it's a bit difficult to explain my issue.
I Have two parameters (Parameter_A and Parameter_B ) and two Data Sets (Data_Set_1 and Data_Set_2).
I want Parameter_A as a Listbox which contains Values needed for Data_Set_1. But i want different display-texts for the Values on the parametermask.
The selected value from Parameter_A will be used (as i said) in Data_Set_1. The Values i get then from Data_Set_1 are the Values for Parameter_B. After this the user will select one of these Values in Parameter_B and this Value will be used in Data_Set_2.
I hope you understand me.
sry for bad english.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
bricombs
Good Day
Take a look at the following sample on our DevShare:
Creating a set of Cascading Parameters in a BIRT report
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/73-birt-cascading-parameters/
xARNOx
thx for your answer.
I know how to create a cascading parameter group.
But I need a Listbox-parameter in this group with predefined values which have a different display text and dont know how to do this.
For Example:
the user gets a list of these 3 options from which he have to select one.
"Football"
"Tennis"
"Curling"
but the Values this options are standing for have not exactly the same name:
"Football" stands for "Foo%"
"Tennis" stands for "Ten%"
"Curling" stands for "Cur%"
look at the picture i attached.
I did not found out how to create such a parameter in the cascading parametergroup.
bricombs
Good Day
A Cascaded parameters group uses data from Data Sets. It does not allow you to use a static List Box like what you show in your screen shot. You could create a Parameter Group which allows you to use a static list box like you show. But a parameter group was not really designed to do cascaded paramters. So if you need cascaded paramters I would suggest that you create a data set for the data. For example you could put the values in a flat file and then create a data set from it. This would allow you to easly change the values with out editing the report.
xARNOx
Thanks for your advice.
I did it that way (create a data set for data) and it works fine.
Now I got 2 new questions.
First:
I have a new parameter (Parameter_C) in the Cascading Parameter Group which I need for a chart.
He contains only one value (defined by the other 2 parameters). So i dont want him to be on the parametermask, when starting the report, you now what I mean?
Second:
If I choose in the Parametermask a Value from the list of Parameter_A the field of Parameter_B becomes clear.
Is it possible that the default-value of Parameter_B is automatically the first line in the Data Set where it gets his data from?
Like a dynamic default-value you know?
bricombs
Good Day
For question 1:
If Parameter_C is used for a dataset you could try not using a paramter in the query and just filtering the data based on the values from Parameters A&B. Then you don't need to add C to the parameter mask.
For question 2:
There is no good way to dynamically set the default value of a parameter at runtime. You could try creating a custom parameter page to see if that would work.
http://birtworld.blogspot.com/2007/09/22-birt-tag-library-building-custom.html
messiii
It seems very complicated