Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
birt drop down parameter page, loading VERY slow
birtit
Hello:
I am learning BIRT while doing a project using it. I have a report page which presents the user with list of dates as a drop down to select and pass it to the report as an input parameter. The list contains 20M records. I have set up proper indexes on the database so the query hardly takes less than 1 sec to retrieve the list. It is getting way sloooooow when BIRT is presenting the results in a drop down of the parameter list. Is there a work around/ fix to resolve this issue? I am using tomcat, birt report viewer application.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
kclark
How long is it taking? You could create a first parameter that allows the user to select "A-G", "H-M", etc and then the second parameter to show the list matching the user selection.
birtit
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'kclark'" data-cid="116391" data-time="1367349730" data-date="30 April 2013 - 12:22 PM"><p>
How long is it taking? You could create a first parameter that allows the user to select "A-G", "H-M", etc and then the second parameter to show the list matching the user selection.<br /></p></blockquote>
Hmm. its taking almost 1 min. <edit> I just timed it.<br />
It took 1 min 47 seconds show the pop-up parameter window, Once I selected a date, generating the report with extensive graphs only took 40 sec<br />
However my query runs very fast less than a sec if I run it from the db console. So obviously the BIRT must be spending so much time in building the parameter window. Are there any options for me to speed up this process?<br />
<br />
As regards to your suggestion, its the dates I am populating and the user can choose any dates to run the report. I would rather would like to see where BIRT is spending the time. Since this is a POC, I am really interested in knowing strengths and weakness of BIRT. I assume painting HTML should be lot faster than the query.
birtit
Any help?
kclark
Have you tried making a custom parameter page? This might help speed it up.
micajblock
How many records are actually returned for the drop down? Are you really trying to display 20M records in a drop down?
birtit
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mblock'" data-cid="116420" data-time="1367530848" data-date="02 May 2013 - 02:40 PM"><p>
How many records are actually returned for the drop down? Are you really trying to display 20M records in a drop down?<br /></p></blockquote>
No, NO, the table is structured with DATE as index. on a given date I can have 100K records. The drop down brings the distinct dates and the max I can have is 365.
micajblock
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'birtit'" data-cid="116758" data-time="1368553361" data-date="14 May 2013 - 10:42 AM"><p>
No, NO, the table is structured with DATE as index. on a given date I can have 100K records. The drop down brings the distinct dates and the max I can have is 365.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
So what is the query you are using for the drop down (I am hoping you are using a separate data set for the drop down).