Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Call web service via onFetch?
AndrewBDP
Hello All,
I need to pass a parameter from a Data Set to a web service in order to retrieve a simple integer return (days to ship).
I have already retrieved the item from the Data Set to pass I just have been unable to determine the direction moving forward.
Is it possible to use jQuery to do an Ajax call? I'm quite familiar with jQuery so that would be an ideal solution.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Andrew
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
AndrewBDP
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'AndrewBDP'" data-cid="116505" data-time="1367860620" data-date="06 May 2013 - 10:17 AM"><p>
Hello All,<br />
<br />
I need to pass a parameter from a Data Set to a web service in order to retrieve a simple integer return (days to ship).<br />
<br />
I have already retrieved the item from the Data Set to pass I just have been unable to determine the direction moving forward.<br />
<br />
Is it possible to use jQuery to do an Ajax call? I'm quite familiar with jQuery so that would be an ideal solution.<br />
<br />
Any help is greatly appreciated!<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
Andrew<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Update: I have assembled the majority of the script required to pull of this operation. However, I have been unsuccessful instantiating jQuery based on the instructions in the following article:<br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/1576-dynamic-javascript-loader/'>http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/1576-dynamic-javascript-loader/</a><br
/>
<br />
Anybody have experience using this method?<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
Andrew
Tubal
I do this by including an html text element at the top of my report and just adding a <script> tag referencing the jquery source.
AndrewBDP
Thank you Tubal for the screen shots!
I have attempted this methodology but did not have success. I was dropping in my jQuery source as you've indicated ... but when I try to call jQuery in the onFetch event it is not found?
One interesting point of note ... it appears that most developers (and examples for that matter) are using Eclipse with the plugin. I am developing with the Actuate BIRT Designer Professional IDE. I'm guessing the platforms respond slightly differently.
Perhaps I should switch to Eclipse?
Thanks again!
Andrew
Tubal
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'AndrewBDP'" data-cid="116665" data-time="1368219580" data-date="10 May 2013 - 01:59 PM"><p>
Thank you Tubal for the screen shots! <br />
<br />
I have attempted this methodology but did not have success. I was dropping in my jQuery source as you've indicated ... but when I try to call jQuery in the onFetch event it is not found?<br />
<br />
One interesting point of note ... it appears that most developers (and examples for that matter) are using Eclipse with the plugin. I am developing with the Actuate BIRT Designer Professional IDE. I'm guessing the platforms respond slightly differently.<br />
<br />
Perhaps I should switch to Eclipse?<br />
<br />
Thanks again!<br />
Andrew<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
I think I jumped the gun. I'm guessing it's because the onFetch is happening server side before the page is rendered, and the jquery is only available on the client side after the page has been rendered. So you'd have to use some other method to retrieve the data in your onFetch. I don't think your development platform would make a difference on this.<br />
<br />
Have you looked at the <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/591-introduction-to-birt-web-services-data-source/'>Web
Service Data Source</a>?<br />
<br />
I've never used it, but if you're able to get data from it, you should be able to pass it a dataset parameter from another dataset and collect your data.<br />
<br />
You could also use java in your onFe
AndrewBDP
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'Tubal'" data-cid="116672" data-time="1368312011" data-date="11 May 2013 - 03:40 PM"><p>
I think I jumped the gun. I'm guessing it's because the onFetch is happening server side before the page is rendered, and the jquery is only available on the client side after the page has been rendered. So you'd have to use some other method to retrieve the data in your onFetch. I don't think your development platform would make a difference on this.<br />
<br />
Have you looked at the <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/591-introduction-to-birt-web-services-data-source/'>Web
Service Data Source</a>?<br />
<br />
I've never used it, but if you're able to get data from it, you should be able to pass it a dataset parameter from another dataset and collect your data.<br />
<br />
You could also use java in your onFetch<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thanks for the update Tubal. I am pulling data using the Web Service Data Source method so I'll keep working in that direction.