Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Live charting
boris256
I'm looking to see if I can do live updates (every 30-60 seconds) of a chart in a BIRT report, client-side. All the examples I've been able to find are several years old and written in Java, and I don't see how I can use them. I'm basically looking at two options:
1) If BIRT provides some AJAX-like mechanism for updating report charts, and performance can be optimized sufficiently, I can use BIRT charts.
2) If not, I can use another standard mechanism like JQuery/Highcharts. Then BIRT will provide only the user management/security capabilities and a basic dashboard report which will link to the chart. The chart will just be an HTML/Javascript page that lives on the iServer.
My other consideration is that I need good performance. My charts are fairly complex (upwards of 1000 data points/200 y series groupings). The iServer takes up to several minutes to process a static version of such a report currently. I suspect that the chart engine does not handle high numbers of y series well, hence the bottleneck. Of course this would be unacceptable with live updates, although incremental updates might cut down on the processing time.
Any suggestions welcome!
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
If you wrote a servlet to return the chart, you could embed the result in a page and use jquery to call the servlet every 30-60 seconds to replace the chart without refreshing the entire screen. I'm working on a blog that hopefully will be out sometime next week that will show a way to do this. That might be a start.
boris256
Michael,
Thanks for the quick reply. The chart engine is likely to take more than 30-60 seconds to generate a complete chart, however. Maybe there's something I'm doing wrong. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your blog entry!
mwilliams
Yes, this might be a show stopper if you aren't able to get the render time of the chart down. I'm working on Plug In 2 BIRT Contest stuff and the BIRT Report Newsletter, this week, but I hope to get the blog out, next week.
Yaytay
Combine two different timers:<br />
<ul class='bbc'><li>Scheduled report creation to static HTML/image files.</li><li>JavaScript or Meta tags to refresh the client page.</li></ul>
<br />
By separating the two tasks you avoid the problems cased by two many requests (whether because you have multiple clients or because you are refreshing too frequently).<br />
Obviously a report that takes 2 minutes to run shouldn't be scheduled every 60s.<br />
<br />
You have a slight issue ensuring that the file updates are atomic, but that's easily manageable if you create them in a temporary location then copy them.<br />
<br />
Jim
boris256
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'Yaytay'" data-cid="116572" data-time="1367992203" data-date="07 May 2013 - 10:50 PM"><p>
Combine two different timers:<br />
<ul class='bbc'><li>Scheduled report creation to static HTML/image files.</li><li>JavaScript or Meta tags to refresh the client page.</li></ul></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thanks Jim. How do I create HTML/image files? Can a BIRT report write directly to a file?