Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
navigation trail
kashish
can someone tell me what could be the possible approach to achieve the navigation trail on the webpage?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mogoo
We have set up all our navigation in an xml document. Each entry has an attribute of position="#". A perl script cycles through the xml, building the breadcrumb as necessary via the position numbers.
maureen
Johnny
You could look at trying to template the navigation.
that way you have nav items as a replicant of links and sub menu's as sub replicants.
You can then traverse over the DCR structure to determine the breadcrumb trail.
Ofcourse it always depends on the layout of your Information Architecture and what expectations there are.
The above suggestion will show a breadcrumb trail in terms of the IA layout, not the browsing history of the user.
John Cuiuli
Gregg Faus
This is something I wouldn't do within a template because in general, all the pages in a website are NOT templated, and you still will want breadcrumbs to appear on every page. So if you generate a static breadcrumb within the template you really limit yourself. If this is not the case, then maybe I can offer a templated approach.
There are a lot of programatic solutions to this problem -- it all depends on the development environment you use. Personally I prefer breadcrumbs based on a directory structure and then by a file basis. I use an XML file that defines directory and filenames and maps those to a named breadcrumb structure. I could go on... but if you really want to go this route, I suggest that you list your development environment.
mksiw
gfaus
I like to know more about this, as I'm facing some problem regarding this.
My environment is : TS5.5.2 in W2k
The users need a left navigation which should be editable by them incase if they need to add or remove a submenu or menu on the left navigation.
Right now we have a perl script which scrolls thorugh the directory structure and grabs the files in the folders and list the title of each file as left navigation menu. If we need to use different navigation altogether unlike the main pages as you drill down to to the pages, it is getting to much customized so the presentation templated is getting loaded with the perl script for this requirement.
If you have a better method way of doing this please let me know.
thanks in advance.
ChartRef.pdf
Gregg Faus
I think we're talking about two separate items:
1) Breadcrumbs
2) Management of subnavigation
My approach would be to build the subnavigation item and separate it into an include file which you can place on the relevant sections. That way you don't have to regenerate all of the pages using the subnav element.