Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Link US Map Gadget to other Gadget Reports
splnet
Greetings,
We are using the US Map Flash Chart and wish to link it to other gadget reports. The idea is that when a user selects a specific state, the state value (such as TX) would get passed to another gadget in the dashboard.
The only event associated with the click of a State is a basic javascript call to a function called doState(). Our initial thought was to add a report parameter called State and then try to set its value in the javascript. This would allow us to link the gadgets and use the Flash Map as a data selector. However, the javascript method does not appear to have report context available.
Does anyone have any ideas on an approach for this?
Steve
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
dmelcher
Hi Steve,
I think an example is worth a thousand words. Attached is a MapSelector.rptdesign and gadget publisher/subscriber xml files to do what you are looking for. In the BIRT 360 dashboard that uses these gadgets, you'll need to link the subscriber gadget to the publisher gadget using a custom event that is set to:
data.event = "countryevent";
countryevent is what the publisher gadget is sending. This example uses countries, instead of states, but you will be able to use the same methodology to pass the selected state.
Hope this helps,
Dan
dmelcher
For some reason the attachment didn't work on my previous reply. Let me try again. Here it is.
Dan
splnet
Thanks very much for your response. I have set this up and the gadgets appear correctly, however, the pubsub feature is not working. I have even gone so far as to bring in a basic Google example of pubsub (where they provide the complete XML scripts for publisher and subscriber), added this to Dashboard and it does not work either.
Have tried in Firefox, Chrome, and IE. Is there something I am missing here such as a browser setting? Or is there another way to confirm the publisher is actually publishing?
Thanks, Steve
splnet
Found my issue and resolved. The function within the gadget report was not aligned with the method in the XML.
Thanks much for your help.
dmelcher
Great job, Steve. I'm glad you figured it out. Using pubsub in a visualization is a great way to effect a more meaningful way to select parameterized data for the other gadgets. I like the way you think...
splnet
One last question - I read on Google site that pubsub is now deprecated. Can you tell me what technology has replaced pubsub?
Thanks again for all of your help.
Steve
dmelcher
Actuate is still supporting pubsub in their BIRT 360 dashboard product. I don't know what Google is using to replace pubsub. Outside of Actuate, many developers are using something else, like jQuery Callbacks.
Hope this helps,
Dan