Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Integrating BIRT in an existing web app
KaustavDatta
Hi Guys,Newbie here, pl bear with me.My problem: How to display excel files(.xls & .xlsx data sources)inside an existing JSP's tag. Never used BIRT. I have an existing web app on tomcat.I have downloaded the RE-API (birt-runtime-3_7_2), put the jar files in "birt-runtime-3_7_2/ReportEngine/lib" in my web app's /WEB-INF/lib/ directory.I have tested the WebViewerExample (tomcat deployment) as a separate app and it works.1. Is RE-API enough to convert my excel files into .rptdesign ? If not, what is needed ?2. Suppose I want to display the "WebViewerExample/test.rptdesign" report inside a JSP of my existing app using only RE-API, not BIRT Viewer, how to go about it ?3. If BIRT viewer is necessary, how do I integrate it into my web-app ?Please elaborate on the steps/codes.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
<p>If you're designing your reports with the designer and then just accessing them within your application, you would only need the REAPI. You could write your own class to run the report to your output file, then you can do whatever you want with the output file/stream.</p><p> </p><p>If you want to use the web viewer within your JSP's, you could use the tag library to do so:</p><p> </p><p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/forum/index.php?/blog/45/entry-453-custom-parameter-pages/'>http://www.birt-exchange.org/forum/index.php?/blog/45/entry-453-custom-parameter-pages/</a></p>
;
KaustavDatta
<p>Thanks Michael, and for converting my excel(xls & xlsx) files into report designs(.rptdesign), I can use either the Designer or the DEAPI, correct ?</p>
mwilliams
<p>You can create a dataSource and dataset that will bring in your Excel data with either one, yes.</p>