Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
BIRT Enginge somehow "kills" tomcat server
Max Bo
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>I have experienced the following issuem here:</p><p> </p><ul class='bbcol decimal'><li>Apache Tomcat 7 boots up </li><li>BIRT reporting engine boots also </li><li>All reports are perfectly accessible via web browser and URL </li><li>After some time, the reports are no longer available, only the process bar "Processing, please wait ..." appears</li></ul><p>When I check the Tomcat server status, it shows many 'old' services and I am not sure, why they are still there (see attachment).</p><p> </p><p>Thanks for any advice on how to avoid this situation or to resolve it other than restarting the Tomcat server.</p><p> </p><p>Max</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
CBR
<p>Are you using the JDBC Query Builder within your BIRT reports?</p><p>Looks like a deadlock to me.</p>
Max Bo
<p>No, I am using the 'SQL Select query'</p>
Max Bo
<p>Could it be related to a timeout of a session? I had several people here just running the report and after the 30 minute session timeout, the system started to produce the POST entries.</p>
CBR
<p>What's your BIRT version? Are you using the OSGI runtime or the non osgi runtime?</p><p> </p><p>Could you increase heap size? Ive seen that it just runs using 500MB heap. I usually run BIRT using 2GB of heap and i m also increasing permGen if i m using the osgi runtime. This is not to be a general suggestion like: Always set server heap to 2GB if you want to run BIRT on it. The value to be set depends on number of concurrent users, concrete reports (are you doing a lot of heavy data manipulation tasks in BIRT) and many other factors!</p>
Max Bo
<p>I have found the reason: your first idea was right, it is a deadlock of two queries. I am using Pentaho Kettle in the background for pre-calculation and for some reason, it is a producing a deadlock in conjunction with the queries run by BIRT. Guess I'll have to investigate that the coming days ...</p><p> </p><p>But one more question: you mentioned to increase the memory values. Could you please point me to the place where to change it? Is it in the configuration console of the Apache Tomcat?</p>
CBR
<p>Hi Max,</p><p> </p><p>glad that you could solve your problem! Problems like that are really hard to find.</p><p> </p><p>Regarding your question:</p><p>Yes this is a configuration value for the tomcat. How do you run your tomcat? Windows service or do you simply start it "manually" by executing the bat or sh file?</p>
Max Bo
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>I am executing Tomcat as a service and usually use the Tomcat Monitoring for setup (see attachment).</p>
CBR
<p>The heap can be configured using the fields Initial memory pool and maximum memory pool.</p><p>The Java virtual machine that is executing the server and therefore your BIRT webapp has two parameters the can configure the heap size:</p><p>initial heap size and maximum heap size.</p><p> </p><p>Initial heap size is the amount of memory the jvm allocates at startup, maximum heap size is the amount of memory you want the jvm to use at max.</p><p> </p><p>If you change the values you have to restart the server.</p>