Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
genReport.sh is slow
BDSED
<p>I am running BiRT runtime 3.7.2 on Red Hat Enterprise 5 using Sun Java 1.5. When I run the genReport.sh, it takes 15-20 seconds to complete (even running the HelloWorld test). I am being told that the reason is due to the fact that genReport first has to initiate the JVM and that is what takes most of the time. Is there a solution I can implement to have this part of the process always running as a service so it doesn't have to start up each time? My application is not a Java application, so I am having to call genReport.sh from command line to generate the report. Obviously each time I do this, it takes 15-20 seconds before the report rendering finishes and then I am sending to a printer. This is very inefficient for our shipping stations as they have to wait this long before packing slip reports print. Please let me know if anyone has a better solution.</p><p> </p><p>Regards,</p><p> </p><p>Brett</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
<p>Yeah. If you're having to start the engine and platform each time, you'll always have this issue. If you can keep the platform and engine running all the time and then just run the report task, you'd be able to avoid this issue.</p>
BDSED
<p>Thanks Michael, that is what I figured. Unfortunately, I am not a java expert, so is there any developed solution to keep the platform and engine running or is it something that needs to be developed from scratch? Any guidance would be appreciated.</p><p> </p><p>Regards,</p><p> </p><p>Brett</p>
mwilliams
<p>Sorry for the delay. This example from eclipse.org shows how you can separate the platform and engine from the tasks. Hope it helps. Let me know if you have questions.</p><p> </p><p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Servlet_Example_(BIRT)_2.1'>http://wiki.eclipse.org/Servlet_Example_(BIRT)_2.1</a></p>
;