split a string and format report based on split fields
<p>hi all,</p><p> </p><p>I've some data as follows:</p><div> </div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]insert into TABLE values (to_date( '01-jan-2013'), 'bob', 'FOLDER1-DIRC-FILE7-VER2','19','err0','app1' );[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]insert into TABLE values (to_date( '05-jan-2013'), 'bill', 'FOLDER6-DIRA-FILE4-VER4','17','err2','app1' );[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]insert into TABLE values (to_date( '06-jan-2013'), 'harry', 'FOLDER5-DIRB-FILE2-VER6','16',err1','app2' );[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]insert into TABLE values (to_date( '07-jan-2013'), 'bill', 'FOLDER2-DIRB-FILE7-VER2', '15','err0','app1' );[/font]</div><div> </div><div>I need to create a report based on </div><div>bob: (report parameter) (and input dates as report parameters)</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]FOLDER1:[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] DIRA:[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] FILE1 19[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] FILE2 17[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] DIRB:[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] FILE1[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] FILE2[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] .[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]FOLDER2:....[/font]</div><div> </div><div>bill: (report parameter) (and input dates as report parameters)</div><div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]FOLDER1:[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] DIRA:[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] FILE1 29[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] FILE2 27[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] DIRB:[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] FILE1[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"] FILE2[/font]</div><div>[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]FOLDER2: ....[/font]</div><div> </div></div><p>so basically I need to split the string 'FOLDER1-DIRC-FILE7-VER2' before I can use the minutes editing field 19 and sum them per file..</p><p> </p><p>I wondering what tools BIRT would have to allow me to split the FOLDERX-DIRX-FILEX-VERX into columns for my report (or even if it is necessary to split the string before presenting the data)</p><p> </p><p>So question is, do you have any suggestions in how to go about this..</p><p>The table I am working with has hundreds of thousands of records so I am looking for the most efficient way of creating the report.....</p><p>all suggestions welcome!</p><p> </p><p>Thanks,</p>