Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Promoting BIRT reports from a dev environment to production - best practices??
John F
<p>I'm new to Actuate/BIRT.. using iHub3 we have separate dev and prod servers. </p><p> </p><p>Question is - when I design a report in the dev environment how do I promote it (and it's resources) to the prod environment? Assume the dev and prod server file systems can see each other. Can the separate iHub instances see each other? What are most people doing to make this as painless as possible? </p><p> </p><p>Many thanks - John</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
GLO_FR
<div>Hi John,</div><div> </div><div>what I mostly saw is that everything which was published on the iHub, was done with an external ressource manager.</div><div> </div><div>The global workflow from one environment to another was something like that</div><div> </div><div>1) From your ressource manager, select in env1 what should be promoted</div><div>2) get the all tagged package (design, resources, libraries...) from env 1</div><div>3) upload/promote to env 2</div><div>4) update ressource manager references</div><div> </div><div>With the iHub API, you can manage the iHub remotely (command line, scripiting, program...), so everything can be done automaticaly in a standard way.</div>
John F
<p>Thank you GLO_FR - I've a quick followup if you don't mind.</p><p> </p><p>What's an example of a 'resource manager' - I am hoping this is the BRD Pro report designer. If not, is this is 3rd party software? </p><p> </p><p>So you're (hopefully) saying that if I want to do it on the cheap to start, it would it make sense for me to Publish to my production encyclopedia from my BRD Pro (sitting in my dev environment)? Any options better than this?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks again!</p><p>John</p>
GLO_FR
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>sorry, my translation wasn't correct.</p><p>For 'ressource manager' I was thinking of <strong>version control system</strong> like subversion, svn, tortoise, egit....</p><p>You've several free solutions which run well with Eclipse/BRDPro.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">So you're (hopefully) saying that if I want to do it on the cheap to start, it would it make sense for me to Pblish to my production encyclopedia from my BRD Pro (sitting in my dev environment)? Any options better than this?<p> </p></blockquote><p>No. Of course, you can do it and of course it'will be cheap. But also very dangerous an difficult to maintain on big project </p><p> </p><p>What I said in my previous post, is that with the Actuate idapi and some coding, you can easily write a small application wich will download from env A and upload to env B what you want to promote from dev to prod and all this will be managed/stored/controlled by your version control system.</p>