Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Newbie Question about data sources
nightgaunt
<p>While BIRT looks to be exactly what I've been looking for in terms of a good report writer for my databases, I'm not adept enough to know if it will meet my other need. Your advice on this would be greatly appreciated. </p><p> </p><p>My current problem is that I've got dozens of files (that I can get in either .txt or .dat format) that I need to pull data from. The .txt versions convert to excel very easily though.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Each row in these files represents a transaction, and I'm interested in one of the columns as it indicates the type of each transaction.</p><p> </p><p>What I really need is a program that will allow me to import these files individually (or as a group preferably), use them as a data source and then allow me use those to create a report on the prevalence of certain transaction types. </p><p> </p><p>BIRT meets my database reporting needs but I'm not sure if it's set up to allow me to use a collection of .txt files as a data source. So can BIRT do that for me or would I need to merge all of the .txt files into a single file (say an excel file) and then use that as my data source. </p><p> </p><p>If my description of the issue seems clumsy I apologize. I'm something of an amateur in this area. </p><p> </p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
You could bring in all of the flat files separately and join them using joint dataSets or by using a scripted dataSet to merge them yourself. Another option could be to look into this ODA plugin submitted in a past contest by a community member:
<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://developer.actuate.com/community/devshare/_/designing-birt-reports/1503-multi-flat-file-aggregator'>http://developer.actuate.com/community/devshare/_/designing-birt-reports/1503-multi-flat-file-aggregator</a>
;