Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Handling Hierarchical Data
sefarm
<p>Hi,</p><p>I've developed an ODA Driver/Designer for a proprietary database. The DB is hierarchical in</p><p>nature and each "row" or object may have multiple incoming and outgoing links.</p><p> </p><ul class='bbcol decimal'><li>1. Can the ODA Driver return a row with an array as a column value:<br />
row["inlink"][3]....? </li><li> If not, what is considered best practice for such a case? The database is not row column based, but rather parent/child with named attributes. The named attributes are defined in the top-most container (ie, module)</li></ul><p> </p><p>Thanks</p><p> </p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
sefarm
<p>Just as an aside, I can handle the above by using a scripted Data Source.</p><p>I'd just like to make it easy for my users to handle the above cases.</p><p> </p><p>Another question occured just now: how could I indent according to the object's</p><p>level in the hierarchy?</p><p> </p><p>many thanks</p>
mwilliams
<p>I've done a few things, depending on how the data comes in, to get the hierarchical look If you know the number of levels, you could probably use simple grouping. Unfortunately, besides grouping, there is no hierarchy functionality build in to BIRT. In an instance where you have the level as a field and the data comes in in the order that it will be displayed, you can simply script some sort of padding to the front of the element, depending on the level value. If you don't know the order, but have a parent, I've walked through a result set building a list in HTML to be displayed in a text box based on the parent field and other logic. I'd have to see if I could locate the designs, if you're interested.</p>