Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
A report with chart and no data gives a strange error
rveeraraghav
<p>Hi,</p><p> i have a report which works very well when deployed to a server which has Birt 3.7.2. Currently, I am in the middle of an upgrade, upgrading Birt engine from 3.7.2 to the latest 4.3.2.Now, with the upgrade most of the reports work, except I ran into an issue with one of the reports which uses a gantt chart among other things. When there is no data for the gantt chart ( The params selected by the user end up with an empty result set ), then instead of an empty grid ( this is how it behaves with 3.7.2 ), it now gives an error. A brief stack trace is copied below..</p><p> </p><p>I am confused by this statement 'Unable to render too many steps' </p><p>In reality it has 0 steps isn't it? Has anyone else run into this problem and how can I address the issue?</p><p>Thanks,</p><p> Ravi</p><p> </p><div style="color:rgb(255,0,0);font-family:sans-serif;font-size:13px;">The following items have errors:</div><p> </p><div style="color:rgb(255,0,0);font-family:sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div>Chart (id = 32):</div><div><span>- </span>Unable to render too many steps. Please adjust the Scale Step or Unit.exception.scale.tick.max ( 1 time(s) )
detail : org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.EngineException: Unable to render too many steps. Please adjust the Scale Step or Unit.
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.executor.ExecutionContext.addException(ExecutionContext.java:1245)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.presentation.LocalizedContentVisitor.processExtendedContent(LocalizedContentVisitor.java:1097)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.presentation.LocalizedContentVisitor.localizeForeign(LocalizedContentVisitor.java:591)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.presentation.LocalizedContentVisitor.localize(LocalizedContentVisitor.java:176)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.internal.executor.l18n.LocalizedReportItemExecutor.execute(LocalizedReportItemExecutor.java:37)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.layout.html.HTMLBlockStackingLM.layoutNodes(HTMLBlockStackingLM.java:65)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.layout.html.HTMLStackingLM.layoutChildren(HTMLStackingLM.java:26)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.layout.html.HTMLAbstractLM.layout(HTMLAbstractLM.java:140)</div><div> </div><div>...</div><div> </div></div><p> </p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
<p>Could you set up a sample that I can run that will show me this issue so I can take a look. That does seem odd that it says that there are too many steps. If you can reproduce it, I'll gladly check it out.</p>
rveeraraghav
<p>Michael, I will try and duplicate using sample database. The gantt chart is so complex. if it is of any help, it originates in the class AutoScale.java and in the method computeTicks line 3066 where the exception is thrown. I have not included any birt packages for debugging so far.</p><p>Thanks,</p><p> Ravi</p>
rveeraraghav
<p>Michael, I have attached a sample report. I have narrowed down the problem. In the chart, if I change Y_Axis Scale from Auto to Step Interval and define a unit say 1.0 hours then I see this issue.I have solved the problem in my real report by shifting the definition to Auto. With that my real report works. </p><p> </p><p>Can't understand why Step Interval gives such an error though when there is <strong>no data</strong>.</p><p>For Duplicating it - enter some future dates ( report parameters are start date and end date ) say 2014-10-10 and 2014-10-11 -- you'll see the problem. Now enter a date like 2011-06-05 and 2011-07-09 for actual results.</p><p> </p><p>