Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
BIRT Integration in web project
easyleads
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>I am evaluating BIRT vs. JasperReports and would like to make sure -</p><p> </p><p>1. BIRT can be integrated in an existing Java based Web application. I think I need the viewer component -
I wish to generate reports upon user request and allow export to different formats (PDF/WORD etc)</p><p> </p><p>2. I need scheduling capabilities - I can in Java create my scheduler - I need to be able to take an <strong>existing </strong>report (rptdesign file) and execute it on the server side in Java create a <strong>PDF </strong>from the report and attach to</p><p>email to be sent in Java.</p><p> </p><p>If these 2 are possible I would appreciate links for instruction of integration within an existing web project + </p><p>how to use the API in java to run the report and create a PDF from the result.</p><p> </p><p>Many thanks.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
<p>1. You can use the viewer component or you could use the Java APIs to write your own custom servlet. If using an existing viewer, the BIRT Viewer Toolkit would be a good one to use as you have access to the JavaScript API to easily embed BIRT content into any type of web page where you can use JavaScript. You can export to PDF from the embedded viewer.</p><p> </p><p>Link to download: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://www.actuate.com/info/birt-viewer-toolkit/'>http://www.actuate.com/info/birt-viewer-toolkit/</a></p><p> </p><p>2
. You can create a simple Java class to run your report as a PDF using the Report Engine API. Then, you can use the PDF output however you'd like. There are several examples of using the Report Engine API in the devShare. I could provide a sample if necessary. Let me know.</p><p> </p><p>As far as a way to schedule and email pdf outputs of reports to specific people, Actuate has a scheduling and security server called the iHub that can do this.</p><p> </p><p>Info on iHub scheduling and distribution: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://www.actuate.com/products/birt-ihub-visualization-platform/deployment-platform/administration/'>http://www.actuate.com/products/birt-ihub-visualization-platform/deployment-platform/administration/</a></p><p> </p><p>Hopefully
this answers your questions.</p>