Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Dynamic number of tables in birt
chris.thompson
<p>Hi everyone,</p><p> </p><p>I'm fairly new to BIRT, and have been using the software for about a month now.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>I have requirements for a report that is something like the following.</p><p> </p><p>Imagine you're recording bowling information, and you need to record a table that is players on the Y axis, and frames on the X axis. Each table can display the results of a single game.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>What I need is something like this, for a user-specified number of games (occurring over a date range)</p><p> </p><p>So the report will display one after another the games that were played.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>My inexperience is preventing me from constructing a strategy to produce this report, so any advice is appreciated.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Edit: We have many reports displaying various statistics. However, this report was specifically asked for and the business explicitly requested that the data not be aggregated, just displayed as-is.</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
<p>What does the data look like in the dataset and what do you want to see in the report. Let me know that and your BIRT version and I can make you a quick sample ( if I can
)</p>
chris.thompson
<p>The easiest way to query the data is something like the following:</p><pre class="_prettyXprint">gameid frame p1 p2 p3 p41 1 5 4 7 101 2 5 7 9 91 3 3 3 3 3...2 1 6 10 9 42 2 9 4 7 9</pre><p>In my case, displaying the totals is not important. When the gameid changes, a new table starts.</p><p> </p><p>I'm using birt 4.3 for eclipse</p><p> </p><p>Edit: Also, there is a variable number of frames, so constructing a table with 10 columns (for instance) won't be able to hold the data if there are more than 10 frames (in reality they can be up to 50 or so)</p>
chris.thompson
<p>Unfortunately the business needed these reports by the end of the day today, so I implemented them using an HTML front-end.
I'm still interested to know if this can be done with BIRT though</p>
mwilliams
<p>This looks like something you could use crosstabs for.</p>
chris.thompson
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="mwilliams" data-cid="128529" data-time="1402505446"><div><p>This looks like something you could use crosstabs for.</p></div></blockquote><p>Yes, for a single table cross tabs would be easy. How can I make n cross tabs, where n is the number of hours between date1 and date2 (and then remove hours with no data)?</p>
mwilliams
<p>Sorry for the delay.</p><p> </p><p>To make N crosstabs, you can embed the crosstab in a grouped table. Then, you'd just need to filter your crosstab based on the outer value.</p><p> </p><p>In your case, you could use a scripted dataset to create rows for all values needed between your two parameter values, then use that as the outer dataSet.</p><p> </p><p>Let me know if you have questions on this.</p>