Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Birt peformance issue
Arif shah
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>I have created few very simple dashboards. The data is coming from an excel and the amount of data is low and expressions are also not complex</p><p> </p><p>If I run the dashboard in preview, the dashboard runs in a couple of seconds or even less than that..sometimes in one second</p><p> </p><p>However, If I run the same dashboard on apache tomcat/birtviewer, the dashboard takes from 20 seconds to five minutes...everytimes takes different amount of time</p><p> </p><p>Can someone please suggest what steps can I take to debug and resolve this performance issue</p><p> </p><p>Arif</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
GLO_FR
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>What version of BIRT are you using ?</p><p> </p><p>Are you talking about the BIRT dashboard (=commercial version) or about a report which looks like a dashboard ?</p>
Arif shah
<p>I am talking about Birt OS. I have a couple of Bar charts based on some excel data. The issue is that even on tomcat it takes variable time..some times 10 seconds and sometimes even a minute to run.</p><p> </p><p>The same report never took more than five seconds on report designer preview</p><p> </p><p>Arif</p>
GLO_FR
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>Did you try to increase the memory size on the tomcat server ?</p>
Arif shah
<p>I haven't tried to increase the memory on the server. However, on my development machine which has 6 gb machine, I tried to install the tomcat and birtviewer.On my laptop and birt designer, the report runs in few seconds in preview, but on tomcat localhost/report viewer, it takes 10 - 20 seconds.</p><p> </p><p>The response on my laptop localhost/birtviewer is still much better than the response on the server tomcat/birtviewer. However, even then 10-20 seconds execution time is too long as the dashboards are really simple. The Birt designer shows that the report itself runs in a second or two. It means that the long response time has something to do with tomcat/birtviewer</p><p> </p><p>Could it be that my machine has better specs than the server and for the report to run on tomcat/birtviewer, we need better memory and CPU resources?</p><p> </p><p>Syed</p>
GLO_FR
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Arif shah" data-cid="128793" data-time="1403513137"><div><p> </p><p>Could it be that my machine has better specs than the server and for the report to run on tomcat/birtviewer, we need better memory and CPU resources?</p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p>Maybe.</p><p> </p><p>By default BIRT OS has 256mb memory (eclipse.ini file)</p><p><span style="font-size:14px;">On the server (the one on your laptop), first try to set the same default memory alocation and make some runs.</span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size:14px;">But as you said, the performance problem seems to be on server side.</span></p><p><span style="font-size:14px;">If you want/can, upload an example, I'll try on my side</span></p>
micajblock
<p>Try using a real database. Excel is not a multi-threaded data source.</p><p> </p><p>P.S. Commercial BIRT has these features OOTB.</p>