Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Help with simple formatting
birtnewbie2014
<p>Hi all,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm brand new to BIRT and I'm trying to figure out how to do some simple formatting for a memo style report. I have a grid with labels in the first column and I would like to plug in the corresponding data fields in the second column. The issue I'm having is that there is too much space between a lot of the columns so the memo looks like this:</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Date:</strong> 07/11/2014</p>
<p><strong>Transaction #: </strong> 123456789</p>
<p><strong>Requested Bank Transaction Type:</strong> Withdrawal </p>
<p><strong>Transaction Approving Official:</strong> Jane Doe</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would like for it to look more like this:</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Date: </strong> 07/11/2014</p>
<p><strong>Transaction #: </strong> 123456789</p>
<p><strong>Requested Bank Transaction Type:</strong> Withdrawal </p>
<p><strong>Transaction Approving Official:</strong> Jane Doe</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can anyone help me fix this (frustrating but probably simple) formatting issue? Thanks so much!</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
SyN
<p>Hi birtnewbie2014,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>you can try to combine your data to a single column with a "dynamic text" field. Make sure to set the binding of the grid to your data set, then you can address the result fields. The content of the dynamic text field should look something like</p>
<pre class="_prettyXprint">
"Date: " + row["DATE"];</pre>
birtnewbie2014
<p>Thanks so much SyN! One more question, is there any way to have 2 different types of formatting within the "dynamic text" field? For example, I would like the label (Date:) to be bolded and the data (07/11/2014) to be regular font. Thanks again for your help!</p>
SyN
<p>Hey,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>glad if i could help out.
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Instead of combining your form with your data, you can also add 2 text fields, in your case i would use a static "Text" field and fill it with "Date: ". You can format it with the "General" tab. Directly behind that static text field, you can add the dynamic field with the data result of your query (row["DATE"] in my upper example).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>No one said you only can add one content field to your grid field.
</p>