Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
20 second delay reloading report engine?
BFC
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:12pt;">We are using Birt Viewer Toolkit and Jboss 4.0.2 to display reports. After the first report, the reports display in a few seconds. But if we leave Jboss running and close the client, and come back after a few hours (not sure about how long to not access Jboss), then it takes 15-20 seconds to display the report. Once the report is displayed, the reports display in a matter of seconds. It's as if the report engine has to be reloaded if not used within X number of hours. I'm looking for an explanation of why there is a delay and more important how to avoid the 15-20 delay.</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:12pt;">JBoss running on various version of Windows Server, 2003, 2005, 2008</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>
<p>Bob</p>
<p> </p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Have you tried experimenting with the timeout settings in the web.xml? It looks like the session timeout is 1200 seconds by default. You might do some testing by running a few reports, then waiting 20 minutes and seeing if it slows down. Then, try increasing that number and see if it changes things.
BFC
<p><span style="font-size:12pt;">Thank you for the quick response.</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:12pt;">On my version of BVT, sessionTimeout came set to 5000. </span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:12pt;">This web site</span></p>
<p><span style="font-size:12pt;"><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://developer.actuate.com/be/documentation/R11SP4/ajc/help/customizing-dk/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#href=iPRef-configuring.07.04.html&single=true'>http://developer.actuate.com/be/documentation/R11SP4/ajc/help/customizing-dk/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#href=iPRef-configuring.07.04.html&single=true</a></span></p>
;
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:12pt;">Gives the value as 5,000, and the description as, "</span>The number of milliseconds the web service Ajax Proxy maintains an idle session." I have increased <span style="font-size:12pt;">sessionTimeout from 5,000 to 50,000. To see the problem, I display a report, close the client. Jboss remains running. After waiting at least 90 minutes, sometimes over night, I display a report. With this fix, i.e. sitting the sessionTimeout to 50,000, about half the time the report displays in a couple seconds (what I’m hoping for). The other half it takes 15-20 seconds, which is the original problem. Now I’m not sure if changing sessionTimeout is making a difference. I have to go back and do more testing with the original web.xml to see if the wait time is 15 ALL the time or HALF the time.</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:12pt;">I’m not clear what sessionTimeout does. It seems like if its set to 5,000 or 50,000 milliseconds, that time is insignificant compared to 90 minutes. What affect does sessionTimeout have? Is there some reason not to set sessionTimeout to 5,000,000?</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>
<p>Bob</p>
mwilliams
I'm not sure that this will be what fixes the issue for you, but I thought it'd be worth a try. The session timeout should only control when the session is ended by the engine. If you had many users and your session timeout was very long and they didn't log out, it could overload your server. There are also probably security issues with having it set for a long time. I was just hoping we could figure something out with this or one of the other timeout settings.<br><br>Have you tried using iHub F-Type to see if it has the same issues? It may be a better option in the long run as BVT will likely not be updated.
wattari
<p>I have a problem that could be related to session timeout. I don't understand I'm doing an export PDF with 15 seconds for each element and when it reaches the element 80 he suddenly stops for 12 minutes and continues the export task.run (). normally it should finish the task and not stop in the middle.</p>
mwilliams
<p>What is your BIRT version? Or are you using the old BIRT Viewer Toolkit like the above poster?</p>
wattari
<p>this what i have on my POM . </p>
<div> </div>
<div> groupId: org.eclipse.birt.runtime</div>
<div> artifactId: org.eclipse.birt.runtime</div>
<div> version: 4.3.1</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> groupId: org.eclipse.birt.runtime.3_7_1</div>
<div> artifactId: org.apache.batik.pdf</div>