Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
java.lang.nullpointer exception
kvram25
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am trying to build a Dashboard using Report Designer Pro.</p>
<ol><li>Created a Shared Resources Data Objects called Cost_datadesign.datadesign</li>
<li>Generated Data Object by right clicking "Generate Data Object" menu on Data object design.</li>
<li>The generated Data object Cost_datadesign.data is also visible under Shared Resources Tab</li>
<li>Now then I created a New Dashboard which opened in a new browser window.</li>
<li>In the Dashboard browser menu I select "Manage Data" icon and select the newly created Data Object as mentioned in step-4</li>
<li>Now I get "java.lang.Nullpointer" exception error.</li>
<li>Not able to proceed further.</li>
</ol><p> </p>
<p>Is there something wrong in my procedure? Please advise.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ram</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
pricher
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can you post the generated data object (.data file)?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Regards,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>
serenahe
<p>Hi Ram,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Could you please try to use the same data source and data set as you have in datadesign report to create a rptdesign report? First to check if you can run the report correctly, and then create a dashboard by using the report to see if you can run into the same error other than using data object?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks,</p>
<p>Serena</p>
kvram25
<p>Hi Serena,<br>
<br>
If I create a report and use the same in my dashboard it shows OK. The problem comes if I use the Data object directly in the Dashboard.<br>
<br>
Mr P.<br>
I am getting "Error you aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" when I try to upload .data file or .datadesign file. Please advise. I have attache the source Excel file
pricher
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Try to zip the file before uploading it.</p>
kvram25
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please see the .data file zipped version.</p>
pricher
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Have you tried running the dashboard from the datadesign file? I suspect the data file you have created is corrupted. Can you post the datadesign file too?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>
kvram25
<p>Hi Sending both .data and .datadesign files again</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Regards,</p>
<p>Ram</p>
pricher
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I found the problem. Your Excel source file has a column labeled "Cost/Eqvbus". This creates a column name called "Cost/Eqvbus" in your Data Set, but unfortunately, the slash ("/") in the column name creates the exception. Simplest workaround is to rename the column label in your Excel file and remove the slash. If you cannot rename in the Excel file, you can rename the column in the Data Set by editing the Data Set, going to Select Columns,and changing the name of the column with the slash.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am resending you a modified version of your data design that works now with the original Excel file.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope this helps,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>
kvram25
<p>Thanks I will try and revert.</p>
<p>Meanwhile I would like to ask if a Data Design / Data Set can be shared accross multiple Dashboards and reports?</p>
<p>If so then how?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>
<p>Ram</p>
kvram25
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Your solution worked after removing "/" from column name.</p>
<p>however I have landed in a new problem. If I add a data row in the source excel sheet this does not update in the Dashboard Bar chart.</p>
<p>I tried refreshing and reloading the page in browser but I only see a static bar chart of the rows that I added initially in Excel sheet.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>please advise.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ram</p>
pricher
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>To refresh the data in the dashboard, you need to go to Data --> Manage Data, choose the data object from the list on the right side, and click the little icon in the upper right corner (the two arrows going in circle..) This will force an update of the data.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope this helps,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>
kvram25
<p>But then there is a menu under EDIT which has a set of radio buttons for Refresh Intervals? What is that for?</p>
<p>Am I to refresh manually?</p>
<p>Is auto refresh not an option?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Regards,</p>
<p>Ram</p>
pricher
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have answered your question in your latest post: you need to set the auto-refresh at the tab level, not the gadget level.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Regards,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>
kvram25
<p>Hello,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have set up the Tab refresh option as told by you.</p>
<p>Please see the screenshot.</p>
<p>As you can see September Data does not show up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Regards,</p>
<p>Ram</p>
pricher
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have tested it again here and it works fine. Make sure of a few things:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1. In your data source, make an absolute reference to your Excel file, i.e. point to the file located on the file system, not your project. This will ensure that changes made to your Excel file will be picked up automatically by iHub. Of course, the file location will have to be the same for BD Pro and iHub.</p>
<p>2. Make sure you are using the .datadesign when you create your dashboard, not the .data.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope this helps,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>
kvram25
<p>Thanks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had used .data instead of .datadesign as the source of the Chart, hence the problem.</p>
<p>Now it is working fine</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ram</p>