Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Table header and page break questions
forumuser123
<p>I'm using version 3.6.2 but these were started in version 2.6.2 and it behaved the same so it doesn't appear to be version specific. Is there a way to fine tune header and page breaks or am I at the mercy of the few options shown in the UI, which don't appear to work?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1. I have a data element from a data set in a table header row. It shows as bold even though I don't have it formatted as bold. It seems to be automatic and I don't see how to unbold it. Is it possible or is everything in the header always bold?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>2. The table header row appears to show at the top of each page, not the top of each table. I'm trying to loop through each record, which is only a few fields formatted in a small table. I want each table to show the header row.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Since the header doesn't show on each table, I tried putting the column headings in a detail row instead. This also got around the auto-bold text issue. But this has its own issue of not being able to repeat the header if the table breaks across pages.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>3. Even though I have the table set to 'avoid' for inside page breaks it is still doing it. Does this feature work? If it works, what else do I need to set for it to work?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>finally, is there a visibility expression that can access the header row? if I want to hide a detail row based on whether or not the header row is showing?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks,</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
<p>I think I responded to you on the Eclipse forums as well, but can you provide an example showing your issues? Thanks!</p>
forumuser123
<p>Yes, thanks. I saw that reply too. It looked like this site got more traffic so I reposted. It looks like I can't upgrade (integrated with another product) and I don't have the demo database. Hopefully this screenshot will explain it. (the bold issue is resolved so only having issues with page breaks and table headings).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The left side shows the layout and the page break options. This test has headings in both a table header row and a detail row. There's an 'x' in one label so I can tell the difference when previewed. The top right shows the first page (shows both the header and detail, the next table only shows the detail). The bottom right shows a page break (only shows header).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I just want a header on each table. It seems like I need both types to show for different conditions but I need a way to hide one or the other if both headers are showing on the same table. Ideally it wouldn't page break in a table at all but it is.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, I'm not positive what Birt version I'm using any more. When I go to Help it shows 3.6.2 but that's for the Eclipse platform. When I go to the installation details it still looks like some components are 2.6.2 which is what I installed (and what I need it to remain unfortunately).</p>
mwilliams
<p>So, you're setting this up all in the details of a single table? Is the issue that a single detail table doesn't fit on an entire page? Or that sometimes one breaks at the bottom of the page?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If the issue is just a set of detail rows that make up your "tables" breaking over two pages, you might try using a single detail row and a grid creating your desired layout within that single detail row and then set the page break inside to never for the detail row. You could also use an embedded table. I could probably create a sample of this with the sample database if you'd like. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding the issue.</p>
forumuser123
<p>Thanks. I'll try wrapping it in a single detail row and see if that works. I'm new to Birt so I was just using the table to lay out the fields. I just want to print all the records, each in their own table but in the block-like format, not a basic column report. I thought it would loop through and create a table for each record. I tested the grid too but it seemed the same. I'm not clear what the differences are, in this specific example. Since the tables are small there will be room on a page to fit several, I just don't want them to break across pages because it becomes difficult to read and you have to refer back to the previous page. I don't think I need a sample report, your answer seems clear. Thanks,</p>
mwilliams
<p>Did it work?</p>