Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Can I have some suggestions on creating a excel spreadsheet from Birt?
p.gonzales
<p>My Environment is a glassfish 4 server. The example birt application doesn't work on this version of the server unless I change the url to use preview instead of frameset. How would you guys go about exporting a report to .xls file using birt? I am open to all suggestions. But my ideal setup would be to have one .war project, run it on glassfish 4, and have it convert the report in the background and the user just clicks the button and it is prompted to save the report as xls file. But again I am open to any suggestion that results in using birt, and ends with a excel spreadsheet with some data pulled from the database.</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
<p>Would creating a hyperlink in a text control with the url to your report and the url parameter of &__format=xlsx be suitable for you?</p>
p.gonzales
<p>I am also considering switching to Glassfish 3, because I heard that Glassfish 4 isn't supported right now. My ideal situation would be to keep glassfish 4 though. Considering preview works on the example application, I think maybe exporting a xls document from a report would work too. If anyone has any experience they would like to share I would appreciate it. And I am keeping an open mind if you would like to suggest something that isn't my ideal method. The only 'must have' is an xls file being generated using Birt.</p>
p.gonzales
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="mwilliams" data-cid="131430" data-time="1413817058">
<div>
<p>Would creating a hyperlink in a text control with the url to your report and the url parameter of &__format=xlsx be suitable for you?</p>
</div>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p>Yeah, that would be suitable definitely. Is this a good starting point for getting started? <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Servlet_Example_(BIRT)_2.1'>https://wiki.eclipse.org/Servlet_Example_(BIRT)_2.1</a></p>
;
<p> </p>
<p>I am currently trying that parameter on the example application.</p>
mwilliams
<p>That would be a suitable place to start if you were wanting to write your own servlet. If you want to use the sample viewer and the run or preview servlets that it contains, you could do that and in your report design, just add a text box from the palette and add a hyperlink to the report design with &__format=xlsx added to the url.</p>
p.gonzales
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="mwilliams" data-cid="131433" data-time="1413817990">
<div>
<p>That would be a suitable place to start if you were wanting to write your own servlet. If you want to use the sample viewer and the run or preview servlets that it contains, you could do that and in your report design, just add a text box from the palette and add a hyperlink to the report design with &__format=xlsx added to the url.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>
<p>Let me try some of this out. I appreciate it alot. Thanks for the help.</p>
p.gonzales
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="mwilliams" data-cid="131433" data-time="1413817990">
<div>
<p>That would be a suitable place to start if you were wanting to write your own servlet. If you want to use the sample viewer and the run or preview servlets that it contains, you could do that and in your report design, just add a text box from the palette and add a hyperlink to the report design with &__format=xlsx added to the url.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p>On the example viewer this suggestion worked with glassfish 4 perfectly. I switched frameset to preview and added &__format=xlsx to the end of the url.</p>
mwilliams
<p>Great!. If you have further issues with this, let me know.
</p>