Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
silly question on how to deploy into my website a rptdesign chart
dmoore
<p>I created a report (chart) in Report Design GUI.<br>
how do I deploy it into my website?<br>
is there a guide?<br><br>
Doug</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
dmoore
<p>my website is running .net (vb.net) with sql server.<br>
in my chart design I used a java connection to sql server.</p>
JFreeman
<p>Hi Doug,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Could you please elaborate on how the design was created and how/where you will be deploying it to run.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Was the report design created using BIRT Report Designer or BIRT Report Designer Professional?</p>
<p>If so, what version?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For your website, are you running/connected to a version of the BIRT Engine such as the BIRT Viewer Toolkit or a BIRT iHub F-Type?</p>
dmoore
<p>BIRT report designer (luna release 4.4.0) v20140606-1536 java dev tools -1558 eclipse platform<br><br>
I created a .rptdesign chart<br><br>
we are wanting to use the free software at first so I think we are using the BIRT Report Designer.<br>
for the website I have not yet installed any BIRT engine or server. I am unsure as to what is needed.<br>
does it run inside of IIS? or is the website run on its own server engine?</p>
JFreeman
<p>BIRT iHub F-Type is a powerful free product which includes an embedded tomcat that hosts it integrated web portal. If you would like to include report output and viewing from the BIRT iHub F-Type directly into your own web application, Actuate JavaScript API can be utilized for this purpose to link your custom application to the BIRT iHub F-Type.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For greater details, I would recommend reviewing the online documentation here: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://developer.actuate.com/resources/documentation/ihubftype/visualization-platform/'>http://developer.actuate.com/resources/documentation/ihubftype/visualization-platform/</a></p>
;
<p> </p>
<p>BIRT iHub F-Type can be downloaded here: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://www.actuate.com/products/birt-ihub-ftype/'>http://www.actuate.com/products/birt-ihub-ftype/</a></p>
;
dmoore
<p>so does the chart run from a separate server and in my website the javascript API is calling out to that separate server?<br>
you pointed to the general online documentation and nothing specific. can you give me a specific guide link?</p>
JFreeman
<p>Yes, the report which includes the chart is run on the BIRT iHub F-Type and your website can use the JSAPI to communicate with the iHub installation to perform actions such as executing and viewing reports.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would recommend beginning with the Getting Started with BIRT iHub F-Type section here: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://developer.actuate.com/ftype/'>http://developer.actuate.com/ftype/</a></p>
;
dmoore
<p>in my separate website I put the js code to show report from my birt server.<br><br>
I get a login box so I want to use actuate.authenticate to auto log them in to the report or I want to set the report to not request it. I cannot find examples of how to do this.<br><br>
the URL in actuate.authenticate or actuate.initialize is a link to the birt server?<br><br>
the URL in the jsapi is to the birt server? or do I move that under my website<br><br>
the viewer.setReportName("...") is a path to my ****.rptdesign - is this a path to the birt server report or do I copy my .rptdesign to my website and the path is to it in my website?<br><br>
also the actuate.authenticate - the credentials string is in what kind of format? I need an example</p>
dmoore
<p>also I have tried<br>
actuate.initialize(<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://127.0.0.1:8700/iportal'>http://127.0.0.1:8700/iportal</a>
, reqOps, "administrator", null, runReport);<br><br>
and<br>
function runReport(){<br>
alert("this alert does not fire");<br>
}<br>
as it says that alert does not fire. seems like it is not going into that function<br><br>
if I put in browser <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://127.0.0.1:8700/iportal'>http://127.0.0.1:8700/iportal</a>
; I get a login and put in administrator and it does login ok.<br><br>
alerts before and after the actuate.initialize fire off ok but not inside the runReport()<br><br>
what am I doing wrong? </p>
pricher
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am sending you a small BIRT Designer Pro project that contains one report with a chart (My Report.rptdesign) and one HTML file (index.html). It shows how to integrate the chart from the report into an HTML page using basic JSAPI code.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have added comments in the HTML file to help you understand the process.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-family:'courier new', courier, monospace;"><body onload="init()"><br>
<h1>Display Chart using JSAPI</h1><hr><br>
<!-- the BIRT chart will be displayed in the following DIV. It is referenced further down by its id --><br>
<div id="chart"></div><br><br>
<!-- Here we include the JSAPI classes --><br>
<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://127.0.0.1:8700/iportal/jsapi'>http://127.0.0.1:8700/iportal/jsapi"></script></a><br><br>
;
<!-- Here we include the JS code that will embed the BIRT chart into the page --><br>
<script><br>
function init( ){<br>
actuate.load("viewer"); // we need to load the Viewer<br>
var reqOps = new actuate.RequestOptions( ); // RequestOptions are optional. We could remove this line and replace reqOps by null in the following line<br>
actuate.initialize( "<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://127.0.0.1:8700/iportal'>http://127.0.0.1:8700/iportal</a>"
, reqOps, "administrator", null, runReport); <br>
}<br>
function runReport( ) {<br>
var viewer = new actuate.Viewer( "chart" ); // We instantiate the Viewer in the DIV defined above<br>
var uioptions = new actuate.viewer.UIOptions(); // UIOptions are optional. Here, we want to remove the navigation toolbar when we display the chart<br>
uioptions.enableToolBar(false);<br>
viewer.setUIOptions(uioptions);<br>
viewer.setReportName( "/Applications/Display Chart using JSAPI/Report Designs/My Report.rptdesign" ); // The BIRT rptdesign must reside on the BIRT iHub volume<br>
viewer.setReportletBookmark( "My Chart" ); // We only want to display the chart from the report, not the whole page<br>
viewer.submit(); // Let's do it!<br>
}<br>
</script><br>
</body></span><br>
</p>
<p>Hope this helps,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>
<p> </p>
dmoore
<p>viewer.setReportName("/Applications/..."); // the BIRT rptdesign must reside on the BIRT iHub volume<br><br>
my issue is still this path. where is this located.<br>
I seem to have 3 folder paths<br>
the only Applications I found was here for me<br>
E:/Actuate/BIRTiHub/BIRTiHub/iHub/SampleEncyc/samples/Applications/...<br>
I also have these paths<br>
E:/eclipse/...<br>
C:/Users/WORK-DOUG/workspace/birt/<br>
E:/Actuate/BIRTiHub/BIRTiHub/iHub/web/iportal<br>
E:/Actuate/BIRTiHub/BIRTiHub/iHub/web/iporal/iportal<br><br>
I am unsure where the root of my iHub server is that I am putting this path to and where setReportName is looking at for pathing<br>
</p>
dmoore
<p>I just made a test.rptdesign that only has a label and nothing else (no data sources or charts)<br>
I tried putting it everywhere for it to just display on page.<br>
all I get is a spinning loading symbol in page as if either it doesn't find the path to the report or something is wrong with the actuate.initialize<br><br>
is there a way to get what errors may be going on inside?</p>
pricher
<p>Sorry, I should have been clearer...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The path that I am referring to in the example is not on your file system, but on the volume managed by BIRT iHub.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you want a quick way to load a report on the volume and test integration with JSAPI, here's what I suggest:</p>
<p> </p>
<ul><li>Start a BIRT iHub F-Type session in a browser by typing <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://localhost:8700/iportal'>http://localhost:8700/iportal</a></li>
;
<li>Login as administrator</li>
<li>When you get the welcome page <em>Getting Started with iHub</em>, upload your rptdesign. The design will be uploaded to the BIRT iHub volume in folder /home/administrator</li>
<li>After uploading the report, you will get to a page <em>Explore what you can do with your report</em>. On this page, choose the Integrate option on the left side. This will generate a code snippet that shows how to integrate the report you just loaded in a web page. You can modify the code snippet and re-run it from that web page.</li>
</ul><p> </p>
<p>Hope this helps,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>
dmoore
<p>p,<br>
is your example a hosted one? I am running my own iHub on my local. I am trying to get my website (iis asp.net website) to show a report from my local running iHub server</p>
pricher
<p>The example I sent you is for an environment where the website and iHub run on the same machine. If website and iHub are on different machines, than the URL in actuate.initialize must point to the iHub machine.</p>
dmoore
<p>i opened the admin</p>
<p>uploaded my test design</p>
<p>i don't see where it has the menu option to "integrate option" so i cannot find where it to tell me to get a sample code snippet to run.<br>
i did run it and view source of that page and included that and my options in the 2 screen shots i attached here.<br><br>
i can run the report in the admin viewer but not from my website. it just gives a spinning loading symbol.<br><br>
pricher
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry for the late reply... I have been away the last few days.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The HTML file I have sent you previously should work. I am resending you an edited version with the right path information based on your screen shot. All you need to do is replace the server info (now, 127.0.0.1) with the machine name where iHub is installed. Save the file and run it from your website.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Regards,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
dmoore
<p>your code is the same as mine. and it just does a loading symbol.<br>
it seems to me the code is correct and paths.<br>
the issue seems to be the server delivering the report. does a port need to be opened?<br>
perhaps a firewall issue? the server running?<br><br>
I can open the iportal in the web browser and login and run the report there. it shows it in a direct link to it.<br>
this is just not working with the js.<br><br>
or perhaps is there some requirements to the js?</p>
dmoore
<p>I installed birt server on one of our servers.<br>
uploaded a report into it.<br>
in the GUI (before I left the tutorial) there still shows the integrate button.<br>
I got the sample code to show this report (very similar to what we already have)<br><br>
I tried that code of the report in that server and get the exact same results - just a loading symbol.</p>
pricher
<p>Maybe you can send us the web page code you use. At this point, I don't know what's happening...</p>
dmoore
<p>I am using the index.html page you posted with no changes.<br><br>
ok found the issue somewhat<br>
I put an alert inside myInit<br>
results<br><br>
firefox<br>
-shows alert<br>
-shows report<br><br>
google chrome<br>
-shows alert<br>
-shows report<br><br>
IE v11<br>
-no alert<br>
-no report<br><br>
so the issue seems to be the js at iportal/jsapi is not happy with IE</p>
ketanbgm
<p>i have created a .rpdesign file.. i want to display it on browser</p>
JFreeman
<p>ketanbgm,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Do you have a specific question related to displaying a report within your web application?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please read the beginning portions of this thread for details on displaying the report. Links to documentation and samples were provided for utilizing JSAPI as well as the BIRT iHub F-Type.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you have a specific question after reviewing this material/information, please create a new topic with your question.</p>
deepsbirt
<p>Hi,</p>
<p>Pleasse can you to tell us the proper procedure of loading the JSapi, as i am not able to load it to my page. i tried with both localhost and 127.0.0.1:8700. Also, i am not sure about the deployment on tomcat server.</p>
JFreeman
<p>Take a look at the JSAPI documentation here: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://developer.actuate.com/be/documentation/ihub3-dev/aig-main/index.html#page/aig/JSAPIWebViewer.html'>http://developer.actuate.com/be/documentation/ihub3-dev/aig-main/index.html#page/aig/JSAPIWebViewer.html</a></p>
;