Report Engine finds an unsupported element in the Report Design XML file

Options
dkauffman
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>I'm trying to generate a pdf report using the BIRT Report Engine APIs in a Java program.  When the program gets to the line...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>       report = engine.openReportDesign(reportFilepath);</p>
<p> </p>
<p>... an error occurs and the following entries are written to the log file...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Oct 28, 2014 9:14:17 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleReader readModule<br>
SEVERE: Line Number:5 Error Code:Error.XMLParserException.UNKNOWN_TAG Message:The XML file contains an unsupported element.<br>
Oct 28, 2014 9:14:17 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleReader readModule<br>
SEVERE: Line Number:1781 Error Code:Error.XMLParserException.UNKNOWN_TAG Message:The XML file contains an unsupported element.<br>
Oct 28, 2014 9:14:17 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleReader readModule<br>
SEVERE: Line Number:1785 Error Code:Error.XMLParserException.UNKNOWN_TAG Message:The XML file contains an unsupported element.<br>
SEVERE: Line Number:1791 Error Code:Error.XMLParserException.UNKNOWN_TAG Message:The XML file contains an unsupported element.<br>
SEVERE: Line Number:1915 Error Code:Error.XMLParserException.UNKNOWN_TAG Message:The XML file contains an unsupported element.<br>
SEVERE: Line Number:1995 Error Code:Error.XMLParserException.UNKNOWN_TAG Message:The XML file contains an unsupported element.<br>
SEVERE: Line Number:2500 Error Code:Error.XMLParserException.UNKNOWN_TAG Message:The XML file contains an unsupported element.<br>
Oct 28, 2014 9:14:17 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineHelper getReportDesignHandle<br>
SEVERE: invalid design file file:/C:/BIRTWorkspace/AgentReportsBurst/AgentLoss.rptdesign</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The line numbers in the log file refer to the following lines in the report design XML file...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>line 5 <external-datamarts></p>
<p>line 1781 <data-mart-data-source name=<i>"Loss"</i> id=<i>"1307"</i>></p>
<p>line 1785 <data-mart-data-source name=<i>"Common Data"</i> id=<i>"1310"</i>></p>
<p>line 1791 <data-mart-data-set name=<i>"Agent by MCO"</i> id=<i>"737"</i>></p>
<p>line 1915 <data-mart-data-set name=<i>"Premium Year Month"</i> id=<i>"742"</i>></p>
<p>line 1995 <data-mart-data-set name=<i>"Loss"</i> id=<i>"755"</i>></p>
<p>line 2500 <data-mart-data-set name=<i>"Group List"</i> id=<i>"1301"</i>></p>
<p> </p>
<p>The XML tags in the report design file were created by the BIRT Designer.  Is there a way I can get the report engine API to recognize these tags?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>See attached java program and report design...</p>
<p>

Comments

• <p>It looks like you're using BIRT Designer Professional. This has elements that open source BIRT doesn't. This would be why the report engine code (open source api) has trouble with your design. To run your designs made with BDPro, check out the BIRT iHub F-Type. It's a free server with security, scheduling, interactivity, easy integration, etc.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.actuate.com/products/birt-ihub-ftype/'>http://www.actuate.com/products/birt-ihub-ftype/</a></p&gt;
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • <p>Thanks for the info Michael.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I am using BIRT Designer Professional to design reports.  I also have the iHub3 server installed, and have published this Agent Loss report design and run it from IHub.  It works well when a user opens the design, enters parameters, including an Agent ID, and views the report in Interactive Viewer. </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>In addition to this approach, I have a requirement to run the Agent Loss report against a list of Agent IDs and produce a pdf file version of the report for each agent, storing all the pdf files on a network drive.  I found an example of a java program that does this using the report engine api, but evidently I won't be able to use it on my BDPro design since the api is open source. </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Do you know how I can accomplish this using BDPro and iHub3?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I experimented with the "Create Parameter Value File" option on the iHub server, but it appears to only allow the storage of one set of parameters to run the design against.  This is the concept I'm looking for, but I need to store a list of several hundred parameter sets and have a pdf file generated for each parameter set.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks,</p>
    <p>Dave</p>
    <p> </p>
  • <p>So, you just want to pass a list of Agent IDs to a report to have it execute individually for each one and dump the resulting PDFs into a certain location? Any way you can provide a simple example of your scenario or give me more details so that I can reproduce it myself? Thanks.</p>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • <p>Yes, your summary of the scenario is correct. </p>
    <p>I have a list of Agent IDs and other parameters as follows. I want to send each set of parameters into the AgentLoss.rptdesign (attached to original post), generate and save a pdf version of the report for the Agent, then send in the next parameter set until all Agents have a pdf report.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Five parameters for AgentLoss.rptdesign...</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>ReportType   Company   AgentID   Year   Month</p>
    <p>'Agent'                 2             300       2014      8</p>
    <p>'Agent'                 2             312       2014      8</p>
    <p>'Agent'                 2             335       2014      8</p>
    <p>'Agent'                 2             455       2014      8</p>
    <p>'Agent'                 2             573       2014      8</p>