Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Loading BIRT report viewer from java application is a bit slow.
richie.riviere
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have a spring mvc web application and have integrated the birt reports engine and viewer into my application.</p>
<p>In my java jsp's I am loading the BIRT report viewer using the BIRT tag library.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For example in my jsp I have this...</p>
<pre class="_prettyXprint">
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/tlds/birt.tld" prefix="birt" %>
<birt:viewer
id="birtViewer"
reportDesign="resources/reports/${reportName}.rptdesign"
pattern="frameset"
format="html"
height="600"
width="1100"
showTitle="false"
title="${reportTitle}"
isHostPage="false">
<c:forEach var="entry" items="${reportParams}">
<birt:param name="${entry.key}" value="${entry.value}"/>
</c:forEach>
</birt:viewer> </pre>
<p>I am finding that the birt report viwer load time is a little bit slow to load. On looking at the firefox trace it one strange thing I find is that there a lot of calls to the BIRT jsp webcontent/birt/pages/common/blank.html. See attached image.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can anyone help me with why there are so many calls to this page? Each one doesn't take long to come back with a 200 ok but all of them add up amd if I can cut these out it might help load times and user experience overall.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>thanks</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
<p>When you're calling the report in frameset, how many pages are there?</p>
richie.riviere
<p>I'm not 100% sure what you mean. I'll try my best to answer.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The actual BIRT report itself is only a single page.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When I call the report using the BIRT tag library I don't specify any pages / page related parameters. Am I missing something that I should be specifying?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>thanks</p>
mwilliams
<p>If you run it into the BIRT viewer, how many pages is the report? Just the one?</p>
richie.riviere
<p>Yes just the one</p>
mwilliams
<p>Hmmm. I was hoping you were going to say 8 so that maybe the blank.html was called as a starting point for each page of the report.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Have you looked through the viewer files to see where the page is referenced?</p>
richie.riviere
<p>Not yet but it looks like I'll have to start digging through the code and understanding what this blank page is and why it's being called a lot. At the moment my viewer is taking too long too load so I need to cut out anything uneccesary.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Before I get started with that. Can you give me any other tips or point me to something on how to troubleshoot performance issues in relation to loading the birt report viewer in my web application?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do fear a little bit that my box is not powerful enough. Becuase everytime I load the report viewer I can see the CPU of my java process going to high 90%.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>thanks</p>
mwilliams
<p>If your box is lacking in power, you'll definitely lack in performance. As far as creating reports that perform the best, I'd really have to see the design. The simpler the layout, the better. If you're filtering your data, the earlier, the better. Things like that can impact your performance quite a bit.</p>
richie.riviere
<p>thanks for your help Michael. I've been able to isolate the problem to generating birt reports graphs. The download time between generating a graph on the server and rendering it to the user it too long. This could have something to do with network latency in my company's network.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've decided not to use birt to show graphs anymore as a result of this. Instead I'm using a jquery plugin named flot.js. Of course with javascript the rendering is done on the clients browser and does not need to go across the network. So it's quicker.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I can also confirm that the birt report viewer is actually very quick to return content for data based reports (i.e. table reports). So it is not a problem relating to the birt report viewer itself but it is more related to the content size being generated on the server and being returned to the user.</p>
finbus.india
<p>Why it takes so long load the frameset of birt web viewer when deploying in the jetty server.</p>
<p>Advanced thanks..</p>
sidrees
<p>Hello Richie,<br><br>
I am sorry I am using your post to ask my question, but since you have achieved this can you please help me, I also want to integrate BIRT report rending and viewing feature in my Java Application, can you please share how you were able to integrate in your app,<br><br>
Please see the attached PDF I added some comments about my requirement, please feel free to ask any question</p>
<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
https://www.dropbox.com/s/chp9m0n01kcyqnl/BIRT Forum - Integration - Generate Report HTML.pdf?dl=0'>https://www.dropbox.com/s/chp9m0n01kcyqnl/BIRT Forum - Integration - Generate Report HTML.pdf?dl=0</a><br><br>
;
I will really appreciate any guidelines<br>
Thanks,</p>
vishal44
<p>Hi All,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have created BIRT report using php/mysql application.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am using BIRT server, but when single report with huge data my BIRT server goes down and file not found issue occur.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>BIRT server using 100% CPU.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please reply.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>