Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Change 'display name' of Dynamic text in designer?
akk2
<p>Hi, is it possible to change the displayed 'name' of dynamic text in the report designer? The same way you can for data elements; give it a display name. So that it displays for instance ''Address'' instead of:</p>
<pre class="_prettyXprint">
if (row["civic"] != '0')
row["civic"] + ' ' + row["street"];
else
row["street"]
</pre>
<p>With the above, it will create a huge dynamic text taking up four rows; basically skewing the whole row size and so report appearance when viewing the report in the designer... It only takes a few to have the report look completely different than when it runs, making the designing more difficult.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have tried to enter the dynamic text's Advanced properties and give it a dispaly name, but nothing... It always displays the long formula... Is it really impossible to do so? Birt 4.4.0</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.S. I guess I could add a custom binding for 'address'... But I don't know, I feel like I'm missing something with the above...</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Matthew L.
<p>You could create a Data Element and Name it "Address".</p>
<p>Or you can use the onCreate method to over ride the text in the Dynamic Text element.</p>
<p>Attached is an example of both methods.</p>
<p> </p>
akk2
<p>Ah so it's not possible to change it... Yeah the data element / binding (same thing) does the job, but it does add a bit of clutter to the table bindings, but I guess that doesn't really matter. I'm not sure I like the onCreate idea as it somewhat obfuscates it and makes it more complex. I guess it was just lack of foresight or bug in Birt for the Dynamic text; not being able to change its display name. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>But yeah in the end, I think I'll just forget dynamic text exists and always use data instead... Start its binding name with 'dt_', almost the same thing, and your report actually looks 'normal' in the designer! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>