Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
BIRT performance issue with 125,000 record data set
Dan Quadrozzi
<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">I've got a data set consisting of 125,000 records which takes about 2 minutes to load when I run the query in SQL developer.</p>
<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">In BIRT I create a data source and data set and just drag the data set onto the canvas. I don't add any formatting or grouping or anything like that.</p>
<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">When it comes to running the report on Chrome the whole thing takes about 40 minutes and I would like to know a way to make this more efficient or if anyone can shed some light on why this takes so long!</p>
<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">I have a very high spec machine, with 16GB ram and an i7 processor, so hardware isn't the issue I don't think</p>
<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">thanks in advance</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JFreeman
<p>Which version of BIRT are you using?</p>
<p>What is your maximum heap size set at?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You could be running into an issue where an excessive amount of garbage collection is occurring due to a limited maximum heap size.</p>
Dan Quadrozzi
<p>Using BIRT 3.7. Max heap size is set to about 4GB</p>
JFreeman
<p>To confirm, this is happening when executing the report out of the BIRT Designer and viewing the report in Chrome?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is the performance about the same with other web browsers such as Firefox or IE?</p>
Dan Quadrozzi
<p>Yea that's what I'm doing. Is the same in IE too!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Doing it straight to PDF takes about 12 mins, which is a significant improvement</p>
JFreeman
<p>That is strange, I would typically expect PDF to take a bit longer instead of being a drastic improvement.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm going to do it a bit of testing on my end and I will get back to you.</p>
JFreeman
<p>I've done some testing against a PostgreSQL database with a sample table I created that has more than 125k rows in it and my performance generating a report with a table that contains this data in Chrome is only a couple of minutes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What database are you connecting to and what driver are you using?</p>
<p>Is is possible for you to attach your sample report that is experiencing this issue?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've attached a sample report that uses a flat file with 125k rows and 6 columns.</p>
<p>Can you run this report in your environment and see how long it takes to generate?</p>
<p> </p>