Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Integrate birt onto as/400 ibm?
Katieee
<p>Is it possible to integrate birt onto the as/400 (ibm i) or would it have to sit in an application that is on the ibm i? <br><br>
Little bit confused about this at the moment - got my head round report designing, brilliant tool! Just need to figure out how to implement it</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JFreeman
<p>How are you wanting to implement/integrate the reports to be run/viewed?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The BIRT Report Engine is a Java based application so it should run in any environment that supports the corresponding version of java.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The Integrating BIRT documentation will be a good place to start: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
https://www.eclipse.org/birt/documentation/integrating/'>https://www.eclipse.org/birt/documentation/integrating/</a></p>
;
Katieee
<p>Would you be able to give me an insight on as to both? So if I wanted to put it on the server or if I wanted to run it in the app? <br>
I think running it in the app may be the best way I'm just not 100% how to go about it.I want the user to be able to make the report from the data given in the application
<br><br>
Thankyou for replying
</p>
JFreeman
<p>Could you provide some more details about the users interacting with the report? I'm not clear form your description your desired use case.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For a web application, you will deploy the BIRT Report Engine to the web application and then run the reports from within the web application it self.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Alternatively, you can create a java application using the Report Engine API to run the reports directly.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>With out more details on your use case it has hard to give more specific information. I would recommend reading over the documentation in the previous post as it contains details on multiple ways to integrate BIRT.</p>
Katieee
<p>Basically I want to put it in an application and view it through html output, probably using something like ajax - still a little confused on this all as there seems to be a lot to take in. Also do you know if theres a way of when pulling data from a database should the columns have descriptions with them, whether I can display that description or not in my table in my report?<br><br>
I think my issue is I just don't understand fully how to set up running birt in a application..</p>
<p>*edit so basically if I wanted to integrate birt to use I'd follow something like this: </p>
<p> </p>
<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://birtgrip.blogspot.in/2012/10/birt-integration-with-web-application.html'>http://birtgrip.blogspot.in/2012/10/birt-integration-with-web-application.html</a></p>
;
JFreeman
<p>I've not read over that blog post before or followed the steps he has outlined. However, quickly reading over it, it does seem to be the type of information you are looking for to integrate the BIRT Runtime into your web application.</p>