Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Performance issue with XML input file
shweta.chalwadi
<p>Hi,</p>
<p>We have a requirement to design a BIRT report using XML file as input.</p>
<p>The design requirement is such that we have to create 9 data sets and join these to create a final data set holding details for complete set (total 5 joined data sets).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Report design is using "List" element with grouping on certain field (using final joined data set). There are two repeatable sections added with "Table" (using 2 data sets from 9 normal ones).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now, this report is taking more than 30 mins to process 1000 records.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Based on various discussions, I have also tried to use scripted data sets, however even those need to parse XML multiple times and taking approx. 26 mins to process same set of 1000 records.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Attaching sample data and report design files. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kindly please suggest if there are any alternate to improve performance?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks,</p>
<p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Do you have access to change the format of your XML? Would wrapping each set of customer info into a <customer></customer> tag help at all? I'm assuming that normally the xml shows different customers not a cut and paste of the same info?
shweta.chalwadi
<p>Hello Mike,</p>
<p>Thanks for your response.</p>
<p>To certain extent, we have control to customize XML file. I have tried to wrap records as per suggestion, however no performance improvement as we still need to parse XML with multiple XPath values.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As of today I have tried to remove some un-necessary looping through script (while fetching records); which saved approx. 6 more mins.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please let me know if you find any other possibilities here?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks,</p>
<p>Shweta Chalwadi. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>
mwilliams
I meant for ease of use with the standard ODA. I think that would help get rid of your joint data sets, which would make that report faster than the scripted data set report. Just a guess.
shweta.chalwadi
<p>ohh ok ... let me try out if XML format can be modified ... </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>
shweta.chalwadi
<p>Hi,</p>
<p>I have tried XML format change to print 1000 records in approx. 18 mins; however when i tried to verify for 5000 records it was not able to generate PDF in 3 hrs. Looks like a big time scalability issue here. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any suggestions on improving this aspect?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks,</p>
<p>Shweta Chalwadi</p>