Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Accessing the BIRT source code documentation
StevieBoy
<p>Hi</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have just recently downloaded the BIRT source code in an attempt to modify the code for my own designer project and to learn more Java skills. I have imported the BIRT source code into the Eclipse platform and I can open files/modify and save code. I can launch a new platform showing my changes etc.. However, my problem is that I am not sure which folder/code does what - Q. How can I find out which bit of code is performing which function? Is there a starting point/documentation? I can't find any read me files in the source code folders. Can you advise? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>StevieBoy</p>
<p> </p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
You might look at the BIRT Programmer Reference in the Eclipse help site:<br><br><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp'>http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp</a>
;
StevieBoy
I've checked it out Michael - Exactly what I was looking for...many thanks for your help...StevieBoy.
mwilliams
Not a problem! Let us know whenever you have questions!
StevieBoy
<p>Hi Michael </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I checked out the documentation and played around with it. I'm a bit stuck now. I have downloaded the BIRT RCP designer source code and managed to import the source files into the project tab of Eclipse. I have a piece of code (creating some dialog boxes at various events/actions) that I want to insert into a particular source file. How do I do that and run/test the code? Once I have done that I want to create a new version of the BIRT RCP designer incorporating the changes (assuming I'm happy with the code) and export that to my own files so that I can run it as a modified version... Can you advise?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Many thanks (as usual)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>StevieBoy </p>
mwilliams
Sorry for the delay. I was out on vacation for a couple days. Can you explain the additions you're creating a bit more? Are they modifications to the actual designer? Or just a new element or something?
StevieBoy
<p>Hi Michael</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1) I hope you enjoyed your holiday (vacation!). I am trying to gamify (adding gamification elements like stars, badges, points etc...) the software in an effort to make it a bit more engaging as part of a proof of concept design. So, in principle I am not altering the functionality of the BIRT code just adding popups/dialog boxes etc.. based on user action/events. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>2) Can you advise what is the best version of the BIRT RCP source code version to download? I have followed the instructions to download the BIRT source code (v. 4_3_1) on your site but it fails to run/eclipse launch a new configuration as there are too many errors. I am have downloaded the source code zip, extracted the files, imported them into an eclipse workspace and tried to run the configuration by right clicking the file org.eclipse.birt but it just doesn't launch. Is there a definitive guide on which code to download that replicates the BIRT RCP design? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Many thanks (as usual)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>StevieBoy </p>
mwilliams
Looking at this, now. Is there any reason that downloading the latest version 4.4.2 wouldn't be your first choice?
StevieBoy
<p>Hi Michael</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Whilst waiting on your response I downloaded the 4_4_2 all-in-one version and imported it the 4_4_2 source code into it.. all went well and I'm now in the process of modifying the source code. Many thanks for your help. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>StevieBoy</p>
mwilliams
Sorry. I got sidetracked into something and hadn't gotten to this yet. I had it downloaded and was ready to try it out, just hadn't yet. Glad trying 4.4.2 worked for you.