Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Updating timestamp manually through SQL
Katieee
<p>There is a timestamp column in the db I'm in - Is there a way I can override this and change it to my own date just for more data really (it's just a mock up). When a new entry is added at the minute it automatically updates the timestamp itself.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks, <br>
Kate</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JFreeman
<p>I'm not sure i'm clear on what you are trying to accomplish.</p>
<p>Could you provide some more details?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you are needing to adjust the the date/time format/details of a column in your data set, you can use a computed column with some javascript to make those types of changes.</p>
Katieee
<p>I'm trying to add more data to my database - the timestamp column updates itself with the current date (which I don't want) I wan't to be able to have a range of different dates rather than if I do multiple entries then all timestamps are practically the same. I'm currently use winSQL to update the db. Is there a way I can just update the timestamp simply and effectively please?<br><br>
</p>
JFreeman
<p>Are you wanting to update and write back to the database from within a report itself then?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm still not clear on the use case.</p>
Katieee
<p>I'm just wanting to update the timestamp through winSQL, so that I can then use these dates for a chart in BIRT - does that make it clearer?
</p>
JFreeman
<p>I'm not familiar with winSQL. However, I believe you should be able to use standard SQL to perform an update to modify the timestamp in the database. I would recommend discussing this with your DBA before updating the database.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>From a BIRT standpoint, you could also make a computed column in your data set that is based off the timestamp column and modifies the date as needed. Then you wont be modifying the database.</p>