Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Connecting to MySQL for reports/dashboard
jasonwisdom
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I want to connect my BIRT dashboard to a MySQL data source. I am going through menu options on the webpage GUI, and under "Manage Data", I do not see a way to add a database.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Have searched this forum topic, and the only MySQL reference I saw was re-storing the internal metadata...something I do not want to touch.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How do I point a new Dashboard toward a remote, cloud-based MySQL instance? (server/database/username/password)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Many thanks,</p>
<p>Jason</p>
<p> </p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
bjenkins
<p>Hello Jason,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Connecting to a data source for a dashboard is a two-step process. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>1. You will need to design a data object. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The dashboard does not read data directly from a data source. Instead, it uses a data object. The object is created as a DATADESIGN file in Actuate's BIRT Report Designer Professional (free trial version is available; data objects are not available in the open source version).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The DATADESIGN holds all the connection and query information. After you've created the DATADESIGN, you will upload it to the iHub and run it. A DATA file will be created, which holds the query output. The DATADESIGN can be scheduled to run on a regular basis and update the DATA file.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>More details are available here: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://developer.actuate.com/be/documentation/ihub31-dev/DAG/index.html#page/DAG/do-BuildingADataObject.html#ww193611'>http://developer.actuate.com/be/documentation/ihub31-dev/DAG/index.html#page/DAG/do-BuildingADataObject.html#ww193611</a></p>
;
<p> </p>
<p>Once the DATA file is available, you will see it in the "Manage Data" interface.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>2. You will need to deploy the MySql driver to the iHub.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Instructions can be found here: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://developer.actuate.com/be/documentation/ihub31-dev/DAG/index.html#page/DAG/iHub_Connecting_Data_Sources.15.15.html'>http://developer.actuate.com/be/documentation/ihub31-dev/DAG/index.html#page/DAG/iHub_Connecting_Data_Sources.15.15.html</a></p>
;
jasonwisdom
<p>Okay Bruce thank you for your response...</p>
<p>I am reading that database-driven data objects are not supported in the open source free license, so I sent an email to sales to request a conversation around that. </p>
<p>Will probably download a trial version of BIRT Report Designer Professional, later in the week when I have time.</p>
<p>Thanks again.</p>
powal
<p>Bruce, does that mean that I cannot create a Dashboard in iHub F-Type without buying <span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">BIRT Report Designer Professional?</span></p>
pricher
<p>That is correct. You can only create BIRT Data Objects with BIRT Designer Pro.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>