Home Analytics Developing analytics applications
The community of Analytics developers are invited to follow and participate in the developer network.
OpenText technical experts collaborate with supported customers and partners in the Magellan product area.

Data Object fails with Exceed the file length

<p> </p>
<p style="text-align:left;">Trying to run a data object in <span style="color:rgb(70,70,70);text-align:center;">BIRT iHub 3.1 (Build 231A150206)</span></p>
<p style="text-align:left;"> </p>
<p style="text-align:left;"><span style="color:rgb(70,70,70);text-align:center;">Fails with following:</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p style="text-align:left;"><span style="font-size:10px;"><span style="font-family:'courier new', courier, monospace;">Exceed the file length.<br>
Exceed the file length.org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.core.DataException: Exceed the file length.<br>
Exceed the file length.<br>
at com.actuate.birt.data.engine.impl.index.BTreeIndex.insertToBTree(BTreeIndex.java:285)<br>
at com.actuate.birt.data.engine.impl.index.BTreeIndex.close(BTreeIndex.java:225)<br>
at com.actuate.birt.data.storage.column.impl.DataSetWriter.close(DataSetWriter.java:779)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.transform.SimpleResultSet.close(SimpleResultSet.java:363)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryResultsUtil.doGeneration(QueryResultsUtil.java:215)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryResultsUtil.processOdiResult(QueryResultsUtil.java:68)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryResults.getResultIterator(QueryResults.java:191)<br>
at com.actuate.birt.report.engine.internal.datamart.DatamartRunTask.executeDataSet(DatamartRunTask.java:492)<br>
at com.actuate.birt.report.engine.internal.datamart.DatamartRunTask.executeAllDataOjbect(DatamartRunTask.java:347)<br>
at com.actuate.birt.report.engine.internal.datamart.DatamartRunTask.run(DatamartRunTask.java:209)<br>
at com.actuate.reportapi.engine.birt.ReportGenerationTask.runTask(ReportGenerationTask.java:1145)<br>
at com.actuate.reportapi.engine.birt.ReportGenerationTask.generateReport(ReportGenerationTask.java:237)<br>
at com.actuate.reportapi.engine.ReportGenerationTaskBase.doTask(ReportGenerationTaskBase.java:153)<br>
at com.actuate.reportapi.engine.Task.execute(Task.java:325)<br>
at com.actuate.reportapi.enginemanager.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:808)<br>
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)<br>
Caused by: java.io.EOFException: Exceed the file length.<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.core.archive.compound.ArchiveEntryInputStream.seek(ArchiveEntryInputStream.java:222)<br>
at com.actuate.birt.data.engine.impl.index.ArchiveOutputFile.readBlock(BTreeIndex.java:1096)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.core.btree.BTree$ReusableBTreeFile.readBlock(BTree.java:1016)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.core.btree.NodeInputStream.available(NodeInputStream.java:84)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.core.btree.NodeInputStream.read(NodeInputStream.java:42)<br>
at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:387)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.core.btree.BTree.loadBTreeNode(BTree.java:609)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.core.btree.IndexNode.insert(IndexNode.java:206)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.core.btree.BTree.insertEntry(BTree.java:317)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.core.btree.BTree.insertEntry(BTree.java:262)<br>
at org.eclipse.birt.core.btree.BTree.insert(BTree.java:453)<br>
at com.actuate.birt.data.engine.impl.index.BTreeIndex.doInsert(BTreeIndex.java:305)<br>
at com.actuate.birt.data.engine.impl.index.BTreeIndex.insertToBTree(BTreeIndex.java:278)<br>
... 15 more$$$Result$$$<br>
Report generation failed. Cause: Exceed the file length.<br>
Exceed the file length.</span></span></p>
<p style="text-align:left;">Any Idea what's causing it? .data builds fine with the designer.<br>
 </p>

<p> </p>

Regards,

Vassili Safonov

Comments

• <p>Is the data object connecting to the same data source and pulling in the same data as in the designer?</p>
    <p>Can you reproduce this issue with multiple data objects or only this one data object?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>If you have a support agreement for this environment, I would recommend contacting support.</p>

Regards,

Jesse Freeman

Solution Consultant

OpenText Corporation

http://www.actuate.com | http://www.opentext.com

• <p>I don't know if you're still having this issue 6 weeks later, but for anyone coming in from Google...</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I ran into this issue as well (iHub 3.1). I had an identical stack trace, the data object works in the designer (Generate) but fails on the server (schedule).</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I managed to get around it by disabling all indexes on columns</p>
    <p style="margin-left:40px;">Edit Data Set -></p>
    <p style="margin-left:40px;">Output Columns -></p>
    <p style="margin-left:40px;">uncheck "Index this column in generated datadesign for faster lookup"</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I have multiple data sets of different types (CSV source, 2 databases, a joined dataset, etc) and indexes on different data types (string, integers, datetime). I also didn't measure the impact on performance.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>It's all I need for my project for now, but if I manage to narrow it down further I'll share the results.</p>
  • <p>Thank you for providing the workaround you have found for the issue.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>If you can provide a reproducible test case that I can run within my environment, I can work on investigating the issue further to try and determine a cause.</p>

Regards,

Jesse Freeman

Solution Consultant

OpenText Corporation

• <p>Honestly, I'm new to BIRT, and I got lucky with the workaround. :)</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Are there any guidelines or recommendations to provide reproducible test cases? Obviously my database connections aren't transferable to your environment.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Since I'm assuming the problem is with the indexes (and possibly their interaction with the data model) I'll see if I can reproduce the issue with a scripted data source when I get a chance.</p>
  • <p>A scripted Data Source will work.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Otherwise, you can use a flat file with sample data or there is also the Classic Models sample data base built into the designer.</p>

Regards,

Jesse Freeman

Solution Consultant

OpenText Corporation

• Hi,

I am facing same issue as java.io.EOFException: Exceed the file length. when I ran my report which has very huge data like millions of data for my report. Report is working fine when I have small amount of data

below is some stack trace.

com.actuate.schemas.ActuateSoapBindingImpl getIVUpdatedObjects
    SEVERE: An error occurred while viewing the report. There is non-fatal error. Cause : Can not load the page hint..
    An error occurred while viewing the report. There is non-fatal error. Cause : Can not load the page hint..
        at com.actuate.iv.service.actionhandler.IVGetPageActionHandler.getPage(Unknown Source)
        at com.actuate.iv.service.actionhandler.IVGetPageActionHandler.doExecution(Unknown Source)
        at com.actuate.iv.service.actionhandler.AbstractRenderActionHandler.doExecute(Unknown Source)
        at com.actuate.iv.service.actionhandler.AbstractViewingActionHandler.execute(Unknown Source)
        at com.actuate.iv.soapengine.processor.IVComponentProcessor.executeAction(Unknown Source)
        at com.actuate.iv.soapengine.processor.IVDocumentProcessor.handleGetPage(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor512.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at com.actuate.iv.soapengine.processor.IVComponentProcessor.process(Unknown Source)
        at com.actuate.schemas.ActuateSoapBindingImpl.getIVUpdatedObjects(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor446.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at org.apache.axis.providers.java.RPCProvider.invokeMethod(RPCProvider.java:388)
        at org.apache.axis.providers.java.RPCProvider.processMessage(RPCProvider.java:283)
        at org.apache.axis.providers.java.JavaProvider.invoke(JavaProvider.java:323)
        at org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrategy.java:32)
        at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:118)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:741)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
        at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:53)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
        at com.broadridge.adc.ers.actuate.iv.ReportNoOpTask.execute(ReportNoOpTask.java:48)
        at com.broadridge.adc.ers.actuate.filter.ActuateSOAPFilter.doFilter(ActuateSOAPFilter.java:79)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
        at com.broadridge.adc.ers.actuate.filter.CsvExportHeaderFooterApplyingFilter.doFilter(CsvExportHeaderFooterApplyingFilter.java:94)
        at com.broadridge.adc.ers.actuate.filter.ByteOrderRemovalFilter.removeByteOrderMarkIfExists(ByteOrderRemovalFilter.java:108)
        at com.broadridge.adc.ers.actuate.filter.ByteOrderRemovalFilter.doFilter(ByteOrderRemovalFilter.java:72)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:202)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:541)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:139)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:92)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:74)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:343)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:367)
        at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:65)
        at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:868)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1639)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    Caused by: org.eclipse.birt.report.service.api.ReportServiceException: An error occurred while viewing the report. There is non-fatal error. Cause : Can not load the page hint.
        at com.actuate.birt.BirtViewerReportService.getPage(Unknown Source)
        ... 60 more
    Caused by: com.actuate.reportservice.ActuReportServiceException: An error occurred while viewing the report. There is non-fatal error. Cause : Can not load the page hint.
        at com.actuate.reportservice.ReportServiceLocal.renderReport(Unknown Source)
        ... 61 more
    Caused by: com.actuate.reportapi.enginemanager.JREMException: There is non-fatal error. Cause : Can not load the page hint.
        at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RenderTask$PageRangeRender.getPageHint(RenderTask.java:515)
        at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RenderTask$PageRangeRender.render(RenderTask.java:685)
        at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RenderTask.render(RenderTask.java:301)
        at com.actuate.birt.report.engine.internal.ActuateRenderTask.render(ActuateRenderTask.java:50)
        at com.actuate.reportapi.engine.birt.ViewReportTask.renderReport(Unknown Source)
        at com.actuate.reportapi.engine.birt.ViewReportTask.doTask(Unknown Source)
        at com.actuate.reportapi.engine.Task.execute(Unknown Source)
        ... 62 more
    Caused by: org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.EngineException: Can not load the page hint.
        ... 69 more
    Caused by: java.io.EOFException: Exceed the file length.
        at org.eclipse.birt.core.archive.compound.ArchiveEntryInputStream.seek(ArchiveEntryInputStream.java:222)
        at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.internal.document.v3.PageHintReaderV3.getPageHint(PageHintReaderV3.java:286)
        at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.internal.document.PageHintReader.getPageHint(PageHintReader.java:87)
        at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.internal.document.v4.ReportPageExecutorV4.getPageHint(ReportPageExecutorV4.java:165)
        at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.internal.document.ReportPageExecutor.getLayoutPageHint(ReportPageExecutor.java:65)
        at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RenderTask$PageRangeRender.getPageHint(RenderTask.java:510)
        ... 68 more