Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
BIRT statement still stand as true?
Katieee
<p>I was doing some research about BIRT and came across a site with some information on - I couldn't help but notice as the top of the page it had this statement someone had written. Is it past fact and has since changed or does this still stand? I figured asking here would be the best place given that its made specifically for users of BIRT.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong><em><span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, arial, freesans, clean, sans-serif;font-size:15px;text-align:justify;">'BIRT reports are created and viewed with Eclipse. The only downside to this is that everyone who wants to view a BIRT report needs the actual report on their PC plus Eclipse installed'</span></em></strong><br>
</p>
<p><span style="text-align:justify;"><span style="font-size:15px;">If someone wants to run a birt report locally (multiple users) do they really need eclipse and birt?....</span><br><br><span style="font-size:15px;">Thanks to anyone who knows the answer to this. It's the first time I've seen this mentioned anywhere so it struck me off a little...</span></span></p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JFreeman
<p>That statement is a little bit misleading and not completely true. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>A report design (.rptdesign) needs a report engine/runtime to be run to generate a report document (.rptdocument) and a report document needs the same to be rendered to the desired output format (HTML, PDF, etc.).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The report engine is bundled into the Eclipse BIRT Designer but that doesn't mean Eclipse is required as the runtime can be downloaded standalone and does not need to be run through eclipse.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Therefore, to run a report design locally, you can use the BIRT Designer or you will need to build a process/application around the stand alone runtime to run the reports locally.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This is why you typically see BIRT integrated into a web application as the work of running/rendering the report is done on the server and the output is displayed to the user through the web application.</p>
Katieee
<p>Hi Jesse,<br><br>
That was really informative, thank you very much for explaining it the way you did.<br><br>
I believe I can now pass my report on to be ran locally through that information. <br><br>
I now just need to work out how to integrate it into the web application as it sits on the ibm i unlike the free option that a lot of articles seem tailored toward of Apache Tomcat. From your information you have helped me understand that I now need to render it/run it on the server and then display the output through the web app - would you say that sounds correct (just to check I'm on the right tracks)
</p>
JFreeman
<p>That is correct. Unless your users will have the runtime/engine installed on their local machines and have an application to use it to generate the reports, which isn't typically a desired setup.</p>
Katieee
<p>Hi Jesse,<br><br>
No my users will not have the runtime/engine installed on their local machines as there will be quite a few users so I agree with you there on it not being the typically desired setup
<br><br><br>
Thank you for all your help - really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me you've been a massive help!
</p>
JFreeman
<p>You're welcome.</p>
<p>
Let us know if you have additional questions.</p>
Katieee
<p>Hi again Jesse,<br><br>
I have attached an image - would you say that this is possible to do? </p>
<p> </p>
<ul><li>I put code (javascript that is relevant to birt) in the web application</li>
<li>I put a suitable form of birt on to the server </li>
<li>Then when the application runs it could communicate with BIRT on the server to run/render and then it would display in the web application.</li>
</ul><p>
Also if it just used a load of as/400 programs rather than having an application server does that make any difference? <br><br>
I hope that wasn't too confusing!<br><br>
</p>
JFreeman
<p>I would need to have a more in depth description/conversation with you on your architecture/environment to give a detailed answer. However, from what you have provided I do believe that should work.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you would like to discuss this in more depth, please start a new thread so we can keep this one specific to your original question.</p>