Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Improving performance - report with multiple datasets
Neelz
<p>Hello everyone,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am now working on a report which acts a drill-through from a main report page(Hyper-linked). This report contains multiple datasets (about 14) and each dataset has a table. Out of these datasets only 2 datasets at any given time are needed based on the parameter that is being passed from the main report while the user clicks the hyper-link. I have included a specific parameter unique to each dataset which is checked in all of the queries and I assume only that relevant dataset runs every time. I am not sure if my understanding is correct or not. I would like to learn how BIRT works when there are multiple datasets.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am sure my report takes very long time to display the results although the queries execute faster separately. Please let me know if there is a way to reduce the run time of this report.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>Note: I had to create multiple datasets because the no of columns that are selected in each of these queries vary and hence I was unable to use property binding feature to choose the query based on the parameter selection.</em></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>
<p>Neel</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Matthew L.
<p>From my experience with BIRT, the data set query only runs if data is required for it.</p>
<p>For example, if you have 2 tables in your report and they each have their own data set (2 data sets), but 1 table has a visibility rule set to hide the table, then only 1 query will hit the database for the 1 visible table, the non-visible (hidden) table's query will never run.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>However, based on your 'Note' an alternative to creating multiple data sets and tables would be to create a dynamic data set with a dynamic table using the API.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here is a link to an example that accomplishes this:</p>
<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://developer.actuate.com/community/forum/index.php?/topic/24254-creating-column-dynamically/?p=132987'>http://developer.actuate.com/community/forum/index.php?/topic/24254-creating-column-dynamically/?p=132987</a></p>
;
<p> </p>
<p>Also, if you could post your design file to examine, I could look it over for you.</p>
Neelz
<p>Thank you Matthew for your information. Since my report file has sensitive data my organization might not let me upload it directly. But is it OK if I just uploaded a file with a similar structure as my report?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>
<p>Neel</p>
Matthew L.
<p>A similar report that reproduces the same effect preferably against the Classic Models Example Database would actually be preferred.</p>