Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Text Spacing
Derek K12
<p>Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this whole BIRT thing, but I'm bumping up against a weird bug that's inhibiting the legibility of my reports. We've tried adjusting the line HEIGHT, but we think the issue is the line SPACING. Like how in Word, you can adjust line spacing by single, double... etc, it seems our reports are generating at greater than single, but we can't find how to adjust it. Any recommendations?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for the help guys!</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JFreeman
<p>What version of BIRT are you using?</p>
<p>What type of elements are you displaying the text in where you want to adjust the line spacing?</p>
Derek K12
<p>I believe I'm using the most recent version of Birt. The report is generating funky line spacing in every element. Forgive my lack of understanding of the terminology (I'm the FNG), but whenever text is used outside of charts/graphs, it comes in slightly more than 0 spacing.</p>
Clement Wong
<p>Can you please attach a screenshot?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And would be better if you can also please attach a sample report design (.rptdesign), using the included Classic Models database or in a blank report?</p>
Derek K12
<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://tinyurl.com/qeyzwgj '>http://tinyurl.com/qeyzwgj </a></p>
;
<p> </p>
<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://tinyurl.com/q8nkhez'>http://tinyurl.com/q8nkhez</a></p>
;
<p> </p>
<p>Screenshots of settings and issue</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
https://app.asana.com/app/asana/-/download_asset?asset_id=39223790763627'>https://app.asana.com/app/asana/-/download_asset?asset_id=39223790763627</a>The
report we're using. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for the help guys!</p>
JFreeman
<p>I'm getting errors trying to view links for the screenshots and it looks like we have to have a login in order to access the report.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can you attach the screenshots and report to the thread by using the More Reply Options?</p>
Derek K12
<p>Sorry about that. Hope this works!</p>
JFreeman
<p>Thanks, attaching them to the post worked.</p>
<p>I see now, the issue has to do with the PDF emitter.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>From what I can tell, this looks to be caused by the PDF emitter. It would appear that the PDF emitter will not allow a line height below 100% and is forcing anything below that setting up to 100% when rendered.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I will dig deeper and see if there are any other options but there may not be many options available for this specific scenario short of modifying the source for the PDF emitter.</p>
Derek K12
<p>If you are unable to find any solution, how would we go about finding someone to fix the source code, and what might it cost? </p>
Derek K12
<p>Anybody been able to think of anything? Jesse, if you can't find/think of a solution, do you have any idea how to go about and modify the source code? And do you have any idea how much it might cost?</p>
JFreeman
<p>Sorry for the delayed response.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>To confirm, you are wanting the line height to be able to be reduced below 100% on a PDF export, correct?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Regarding the source code, the source code for 4.3.0 (The version your sample report was created with) can be downloaded here: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://download.eclipse.org/birt/downloads/build.php?build=R-R1-4_3_0-201306131152'>http://download.eclipse.org/birt/downloads/build.php?build=R-R1-4_3_0-201306131152</a></p>
;
<p> </p>
<p>You will need to modify org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.pdf to change the interaction with iText to allow for a smaller line height.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Regarding cost, I cannot say as that is relative to who performs the modifications.</p>