Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Dataset SQL doesn't execute
onthegomiller
<p>Hello,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm having difficulty getting some dataset sql to execute (that I added to an existing report).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When I turn logging on I can see all of the sql statements (in the datasets that existed) execute except the new one that I added.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've looked at it for so long I don't think I can see the forest thru the trees.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The dataset is named subDataSet1 in the attached report. It is a very simple sql statement that queries the timezone from a table based on a userid.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you in advance.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kim Miller</p>
<p> </p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
pricher
<p>Hi Kim,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In order for a dataset to be executed, it needs to be bound to an object in the report such as a table, a list, a grid, a chart, or a data item. The subDataSet1 query is not bound to anything, hence the BIRT engine will not run it. The workaround is simply to bind the dataset to a data-aware object and make that object hidden by using the Visbility property.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope this helps,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>
onthegomiller
<p>Hi Pierre,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, essentially you're saying that if I add a field to the report and tie it to the dataset then all will be well?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Holy. That's a pretty simple solution! I guess I should have been able to find this is online documentation but I completely missed it (my fault).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I will try this out and hopefully it resolves the issue.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you so much for your time. I'm more appreciative than I can say. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kim</p>
onthegomiller
<p>Pierre,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have another question that maybe you can answer.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If I move that dataset to the top of the datasets (so it becomes the first dataset) shouldn't that attain the rows[0] value and all subsequent datasets fall into place after that (e.g., rows[1], rows[2], rows [3])?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I read that the dataset order is enforced by the order within the xml script.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When I move that dataset to the top of my report and modify the references to rows[0] my report doesn't run correctly.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hopefully I'm making sense.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I ultimately want to use the timezone value in the former main sql so the new dataset to the top. It doesn't appear that subsequent datasets adjusted. I modified my old rows[0] reference to rows[1] but those datasets now don't run.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is there something else I need to do in order to modify the dataset order so that I can incorporate the new dataset as rows[0]?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Let me know if this doesn't make sense.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kim</p>
pricher
<p>I am not sure I understand fully... Datasets run in the order they appear in the Data Explorer. It's the part about rows[0] rows[1] etc that I don't understand.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>