Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Date display along x-axis in a chart - Scaling feature doesn't work
jshaw
<p>Hi, i have a chart that needs to adapt to various amount of data, a user could choose to look at 10 days, 100 days or 1000 days of data. I want to plot every point.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>However, along the X-axis i don't want to show every date! Even 100 dates is hard to read. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>In Format Chart/X-Axis there is a button "Scale". If i click that I am told Auto or "Step Interval". If i choose the latter and then set it to interval = 1, unit=Month and redraw the chart the x-axis is unchanged, i still get far too many dates shown, I though i would just get 1 date per month. The "Scale" feature seems to do nothing!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Perhaps i am not using this feature in the way it is intended, is there a correct way to achieve what i want?</p>
<p> </p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JFreeman
<p>Which version of BIRT are you using?<br>
What format of chart are you using (SVG, HTML, PNG, etc.)?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You do not want to group the data points at all?</p>
<p>Displaying 100-1000 data points on a chart without grouping is going to make the chart difficult to read effectively.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Instead, I think it would make more sense to add some scripting to adjust the charts x-axis grouping configuration based on the number of days data to display.</p>
jshaw
<p>Hi, it is BIRT 4.4.0, ActuateChart version 2.6.1 (that's what it says in the xml source).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I could group as you describe but would prefer not to, I was wondering if the x-axis had the ability to auto-scale without me having to group (since that would then hide individual outliers of interest)</p>
JFreeman
<p>Thanks for the details.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In the Select Chart Type tab of the Edit Chart dialogue, what is the output format of the chart type you are using (HTML, SVG, PNG, JPG)?</p>