Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Using "Enable Incremental Update"
Birty Terrace
<p>Hi All,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am trying to implement "Enable Incremental Updates" for appending only latest data instead of whole data to object store (.data file). But whenever I select "Enable Incremental Update" and "Generate data object", it generates .data file with duplicate data.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So my query is, Why is this happening??</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
micajblock
<p>You need to add a filter to the queries so it generates only new data. For example where the transaction date is greater than yesterday.</p>
Birty Terrace
<p>Hello mblock,</p>
<p>Thanks for the reply. But, where can I add filter to the queries??</p>
micajblock
<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://developer.actuate.com/be/documentation/ihub31-dev/DAG/index.html#page/DAG/do-HowToEnableIncrementalUpdates.html#ww193749'>http://developer.actuate.com/be/documentation/ihub31-dev/DAG/index.html#page/DAG/do-HowToEnableIncrementalUpdates.html#ww193749</a></p>
;
Birty Terrace
<p>Hi mblock,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I read the document earlier. But, I still have a doubt. Is this talking about "Report parameter" as filter??</p>
micajblock
<p>Yes. So in your query you parameterize the query so it only gets new data. When you run the data object you pass the appropriate value.</p>
Birty Terrace
<p>Hi mblock,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I added a parameter whose value is calculated at run time. But, on running a report, I get the exception 17070.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have attached a snap of Report parameter configuration. Can you verify it??</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For background info, I have a table with "ShippedDate" as one column and from "Select Value Column" in snap, I am filtering all dates greater than yesterday.</p>
micajblock
<p>First of all the value column needs to come from the data set (you can use the script to set the default value). Second is this the parameter on the data object or the report using the data object?</p>
Birty Terrace
<p>Hi mblock,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>this parameter is a part of .datadesign file</p>
Birty Terrace
<p>Hi mblock,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Instead of creating "Report parameter", I created a filter (please find attached snap) in dataset. And this has done half of my job i.e on choosing <span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">"Enable Incremental Update" in .datadesign and "Generate data object", it generates .data file with no duplicate data.</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span>Now, remaining half of problem is, when I schedule .datadesign file in dashboard to generate .data periodically, it still appends duplicate data. I think filter created above should work here as well but, unfortunately, it is not working..</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span>Am I on right track??</span></p>
micajblock
<p>attached example</p>
Birty Terrace
<p>Hi mblock,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks a lot for example. It worked.</p>
<p>In my application, I was using excel as data source and I didn't find any "SQL Select Query" in "Edit Data Set" window for inserting parameter marker. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for looking into it...
</p>
micajblock
<p>OK, so this is a completely different story. What does your Excel file look like. How does one know there is a new row? Can you post the Excel file?</p>
Birty Terrace
<p>Hello mblock,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>"DeliveryDate" is one of the column by which we can identify newly added rows.</p>
<p>Please find attached excel document.</p>
micajblock
<p>Still not sure about your requirements. Do you get new Excel files every time? In any case attached is an example, that has start date parameter. First time run it with the first date, after that you run it with a start date of the new dates. I used Order Date as the key as it made more sense to me. Just a note that incremental update is really an incremental insert, as we will insert new rows but not update existing rows.</p>
Birty Terrace
<p>Hi mblock,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I receive new excel file every week.</p>
micajblock
<p>The use the design I sent. </p>
pam1987
<p>Hi mblock, Hi Birty,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How can I implement "Enable Incremental Update" in open source BIRT. As there is no concept of .data and .datadesign as compared to iHub. In BIRT,you can only create "rptdocument" for caching and creating "rptdocument", on daily basis, for lots of records is not feasible. So can you people make any suggestion on this?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any kind of help is greatly appreciated....
</p>
micajblock
<p>Correct, there is no Data Objects in OS BIRT. There is also no way to incrementally update an report document. You need to generate the whole document again. A report can have aggregations anywhere on a page so it makes no sense anyway.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is there a specific use case you are thinking of?</p>
pam1987
<p>Hello mblock,</p>
<p>Thanks for verifying my understanding.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We are doing a project in which thousands of records (relating to user data) is generated on daily basis. Now, suppose, in a year the records count reaches to millions or billions. So, for having an updated rptdocument, one needs to generate this much of record daily which has fat chances of doing low performance on product side. And in my personal opinion, this is not a good architectural sign.</p>
<p>So, I was googling to find an optimized way to do this. And then I came to this post and thought of poking you guys for making some suggestions
.</p>
micajblock
<p>Why do you need to generate one report with all users? Who will look at that? Create reports with parameters so only the data a specific user needs will be generated.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.S. You can always buy commercial product :-)</p>
pam1987
<p>Hi mblock,</p>
<p>For knowing the maximum capacity of rptdocument, for holding cached data, I need to generate a report with all users. Any suggestion on maximum size of rptdocument, we can generate :rolleyes: ??</p>
<p>Yes, at run time, we can use parameters for filtering data.</p>
<p>And,Yes I can buy commercial product any time
</p>
micajblock
<p>I do not think there is a maximum size.</p>
pam1987
<p>Ok..Thnx</p>