Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Joint DataSets or SQL Query Joins?
sidrees
<p>Hi Sir,<br><br>
I wanted to know if there is any noticable performace issue of creating a Joint Datasets using different datasets over adding Joins at query level?<br><br>
And also what is the best approch to use Joint Datasets,</p>
<p>I am using Vertical Inheritance in Database,</p>
<p>So I have an entity called Applicant which further have sub-entities Person and Company, and Applicant has Applications and Documents,</p>
<p>In the end I want to allow user to select ApplicantType(Which is a filed in Applicant to define different types or applicants) and then search for applications or documents</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks,</p>
<p>
Saif.</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
sidrees
<p>Hi Sir,<br>
Here is my exact scanerio, as I mentioned above I have a parent entity <strong>Applicant</strong>,</p>
<p><strong>Applicant</strong> has sub-entities( <strong>Company </strong>and <strong>Person</strong>) linked by <strong>oid</strong></p>
<p>Now <strong>Application </strong>entity has relationship <strong>toApplicant </strong>with Applicant(which can be Company or Person)</p>
<p>User will do search on applications, for example applications created on a date, each application either belong to a Company or Person</p>
<p>My goal is to have a dataset at the end which should have application related details and applicant related details like if I add a computed column <strong>applicant_name</strong> it should give me <strong>person_name </strong>if application belongs to Person otherwise <strong>company_name</strong> if application belongs to a Company.</p>
micajblock
<p>In general databases will perform joins faster than BIRT. What is your database? In any case you can test both and see which is faster.</p>
sidrees
<p>I am using Postgres, I have tried using Joint Datasets I will do some testing with large data fetch to see the performance and will go for database joins incase of noticable speed difference.</p>