Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Upgrade iwperl
System
Hi,
Is there any way to upgrade iwperl to a newer version? The current version can not run some Perl modules I'd like to use. Any information on this issue is appreciated.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Similar information for IWHOME/tools/java1.3 would be appreciated - some XML parsers seem to want 1.4.x.
gzevin
it's really a hard question as you might need to use some existing IWOV modules that are compiled in the current perl environment.
as an alternative, you could always install another perl and use it for your purposes. (However if you need to use both teamSite and your modules, it won't be easy)
Greg Zevin
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Are you not able to install some additional perl modules?
Migrateduser
I am trying to use log4perl (log4perl.sourceforge.net). It requires Perl 5.6 and above. If you have ever used this module, you will know how much time you could have saved dealing with debugging and logging issues in Teamsite.
bibulle
Can someone from IW respond about Log4perl ?
What about the current version ?
And about the future ?
Adam Stoller
The current version of iwperl is 5.005_03 - there are plans to upgrade it - but I'm not entirely sure when and to what (5.6 or 5.8 or ...) - there's a significant amount of work (but as part of the product and, to a larger extent, as part of customizations done for customers) that rely on it all working correctly - that upgrading the Perl distribution to 5.6 is *not* a trivial task - i.e. there needs to be time / resources set aside for performing QA.
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Migrateduser
Fish is correct, this a perl upgrade is in progress in engineering, but it is a big task. It won't likely be shipping any time soon.
lissa
Migrateduser
I'm a little curious about this. Perl has always been such an integral part of TeamSite - one would think that Interwoven would have prepared better for perl upgrades. I'm disappointed that there's no light at the end of the tunnel for having TeamSite staying up-to-date with perl. I certainly understand that it's not trivial to incorporate a significant perl upgrade, but at the same time - Interwoven got in bed with perl from the beginning, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that there would be upgrades to deal with. Getting the latest perl version integrated should be a high priority.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Smitty, IWOV has looked at this a number of times, we too can be frustrated by how long this is taking. It's just a non-trivial activity. We have put it on the roadmap for a future release, so it won't get lost this time.
lissa
nipper
Boy I remember Jack Jia bragging how very little perl code is shipped with TeamSite. You would think with such a small PERL code base, upgrading perl would not be so tough
Andy
Migrateduser
I saw a claim that Perl is less than 3% of the code. I think it depends on how you measure percentage. The same document also said you could access TeamSite functionality with any language such as VB6 (I don't see how, other than the CLTs, which only give limitted access).
Adam Stoller
part of the problem has been timing - waiting for a mature "new" version of Perl to coincide with a planned period of time for attempting the upgrade and QA'ing everything, and *not* try to QA a lot of other things all at the same time. For better or worse - the Perl code has been "stable" while much around it has been changing, and most of the QA focus has been on the parts of the product which have been undergoing change.
I believe the first time we were going to upgrade iwperl - there had just been announced significant bugs in the then current version of Perl and so we held off. For one reason or another, we've just never managed to find the right time to do it since. Hopefully we will in the not too distant future.
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Adam Stoller
While there may be a relatively small percentage of Perl code in the product itself - there's a fairly large base of custom/customer code using modules that have been shipping with the product - and we'd have to make sure that we have the correct versions of all the additional modules that we ship with iwperl - plus I think there are a few feature request / lists waiting around to add *other* modules to the list we ship.
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
18113.pdf
Migrateduser
I can understand the difficulties in upgrading iwperl. Wouldn't this be an argument for making TeamSite more language independent? Make COM objects available for the Windows folks, and do whatever the Unix equivalent is, and let people use the programming language they are most proficient at. So much of the example code and documentation refers to iwperl that I can see how so many companies started to use it.
18125.pdf
Adam Stoller
There are pros and cons to every approach. Perl was chosen in the beginning in part, I believe, because it was readily available, able to be distributed, and very functional - and at the time it was a very well-known and vastly-used language. I think that those aspects still hold true except perhaps for the well-known and vastly-used part (those who know it still use it a great deal, but people don't seem to be learning it anywhere near the rate they were 3 or 4 years ago).
Other languages require APIs to be developed to support them and they too would run into release scheduling issues (i.e. if a new version of COM or Java comes out - we cannot necessarilly upgrade the internals to use it without going through the same kind of QA and backwards-compatibility issues that we have with Perl - possibly even more so).
I will state for the record, however, that I personally, am biased in favor of Perl and would hate to see support for it, as a means of creating customizations for the Interwoven products, go away.
The powers-that-be *do* recognize the need for supporting other languges - and this, in part, is what lead to OpenAPI and Content Services SDK. Additional APIs are likely to be developed as time permits and as the "general" market dictates - it just takes time...
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Migrateduser
This post is on the suggestion box forum:
http://devnet.interwoven.com/forums/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Board=PRODUCTS_TEAMSITE&Number=14928
Interwoven will be making a web service available, which seems like a great approach - language independent and if done right easier to keep upgraded. Thanks to Interwoven for having this planned! David
Johnny
You dont work for Interwoven do you? :þ
I saw the sell on all the new stuff planned... It will be interesting to see it in action.
John Cuiuli
Consultant
Sydney, Australia
Migrateduser
Yes Johnny because no customer or consulting partner would ever speak like that.
Johnny
Maybe their fingers are scare free so far!
I know Ive got a few burn marks!!
John Cuiuli
Consultant
Sydney, Australia