Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Results from one data set as a parameter to another
gdeyoung
<p>Hi all, so I've looked at a couple examples demonstrating something like what I need, though not exactly, but they didn't really come with any useful explanation.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Basically I'm trying to accomplish what you could easily do with a SQL JOIN, though the catch is that the tables I need to join exist on different servers, requiring me to use two data sources.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The first data set, from the first data source, has a user_id column, among others. The second data set, from the second data source, has user_id and username columns. Basically, my report needs the results of the first data set, with the additional info of the usernames in the second data set.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Simply using a joint data set between the two is not practical, as there are only a handful of records in the first data set, yet hundreds of thousands of records in the second data set (don't ask). I need a way of only retrieving the usernames of the user_ids that exist in the first data set from the database to make my report fast.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any ideas?</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
micajblock
<p>First data set builds a variable that is used in the second data set. You need a table for the first data set (BIRT will only execute the data set if it is used in the report). If you tell me which version you are using I can build a quick example.</p>
gdeyoung
<p>Fortunately, the only table in the report relies predominantly on the first data set, so that shouldn't be an issue. Or do you mean I need an invisible table for the first data set, and then the visible table will be applied to the joint data set?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm using v4.5.0. Thanks mblock!</p>
micajblock
<p>Yes, that is the idea. See attached example.</p>
gdeyoung
<p>Thanks for the example!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ah ok, I see. Though, for just a bit of clarification, what dictates the data set retrieval execution order? Is it the top-down order of tables in the report?</p>
micajblock
<p>Yes</p>