How to download file pdf from ihub server by REST API

Trần Quốc Việt
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>I use ihub 16 and i try to download file pdf by REST API use method /files/{fileId}/download , but i can't view  file obtained . Please help me ! </p>

Comments

• Clement Wong
    Clement Wong E Community Moderator
    edited July 26, 2016 #2
    <p>What version of the REST API?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>For iHub 16, version 2 (preferred) is located at:</p>
    <pre class="_prettyXprint">
    http://your-ihub-server:8000/api/v2/ihubrestdocs/</pre>
    <p>Do you want the PDF from the .RPTDOCUMENT?</p>
    <pre class="_prettyXprint _lang-">
    http://your-ihub-server:8000/api/v2/visuals/{fileID}/pdf
    </pre>
    <p>But you referenced /download so there is an existing PDF on the iHub volume that you want to download?</p>
    http://your-ihub-server:8000/api/v2/files/{fileID}/download?base64=false
    </pre>
    <p>And putting this together in an example page...</p>
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <body>

<button onclick="saveContent();">PDF</button>

<script>
    function saveContent(fileContents, fileName)
    {
    var link = document.createElement('a');

downloadFile('http://your-ihub-server:8000/api/v2/files/131100000100/download?base64=false', function(blob) {
    var url = URL.createObjectURL(blob);
    link.href = url;
    link.download = "Client Portfolio.PDF";
    link.click();
    });
    }

function downloadFile(url, success) {
    var xhr = new XMLHttpRequest();
    xhr.open('GET', url, true);
    xhr.setRequestHeader("AuthToken", "your-AuthToken-here");
    xhr.responseType = "blob";
    xhr.onreadystatechange = function() {
    if (xhr.readyState == 4) {
    if (success) success(xhr.response);
    }
    };
    xhr.send(null);
    }

</script>
    </body>
    </html>
    </pre>
    <p>It looks like the documentation is not correct where you would set base64=true for PDF, but you'll need to set it to false instead.  I'll file a ticket to have that corrected.</p>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • <p>actuate now  i cannot download file from Rest Api. how i can fix it. when i fill feilds and click 'Try it out' have a noice from Internet Download Manager  that 'cannot download this file '</p>
  • Clement Wong
    edited August 1, 2016 #4
    <p>Through the REST API v2 Swagger interface, you'll need to set base64 to false, and of course, the File ID.  Then, click on 'Try it out'.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>If successful, in the Response Body, there will be a link in green.</p>
    <p>"<span style="color:#006400;">download?base64=false</span>"</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Right click on that link, and choose "Save link as..."</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>You'll see a random file name so give the download a file name and a .PDF extension.</p>
  • <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Clement Wong" data-cid="144778" data-time="1470091350">
    <div>
    <p>Through the REST API v2 Swagger interface, you'll need to set base64 to false, and of course, the File ID.  Then, click on 'Try it out'.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>If successful, in the Response Body, there will be a link in green.</p>
    <p>"<span style="color:#006400;">download?base64=false</span>"</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Right click on that link, and choose "Save link as..."</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>You'll see a random file name so give the download a file name and a .PDF extension.</p>
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    <p>I alway set base64=false . but if i download file from other computer in LAN (ihub 16 is setup on my server and i download file from my computer) will have notice that "cannot download this file" by IDM with response code = 204 on rest api interface. and if i download file directy from my server, brower will download that file but i can not read it,  its name like this :</p>
    <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">
    <p> </p>
    <p>application-octet-stream-download-base64=false-blob-http%3A--localhost%3A8000-703e0b1c-d820-4ea5-aeeb-f59cdf822617</p>
    </blockquote>
  • Clement Wong
    <p>The REST API UI for downloading in might not be the real-world use case.  I'm not sure what IDM you are using, but what if you tried a different browser, or a stock browser without any download manager.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>The behavior that you see, when you download using the server's browser is expected behavior no matter where you are.  As I mentioned previously,  that tou'll see a random file name so give the download a file name and a .PDF extension. <br>
     </p>
    <p>Please use the example HTML code that I provided that uses the HTML5 download attribute to save a file with a specific file name.</p>
  • Trần Quốc Việt
    edited August 5, 2016 #7
    <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Clement Wong" data-cid="144803" data-time="1470246106">
    <div>
    <p>The REST API UI for downloading in might not be the real-world use case.  I'm not sure what IDM you are using, but what if you tried a different browser, or a stock browser without any download manager.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>The behavior that you see, when you download using the server's browser is expected behavior no matter where you are.  As I mentioned previously,  that tou'll see a random file name so give the download a file name and a .PDF extension. <br>
     </p>
    <p>Please use the example HTML code that I provided that uses the HTML5 download attribute to save a file with a specific file name.</p>
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Thank you for answer my topic, but i still can't solve this probem. what happened with me show in below video, can you help me !!</p>
    <p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://youtu.be/Y4vR4NuujBs'&gt;https://youtu.be/Y4vR4NuujBs&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
    <p> </p>
    <p>Response Headers</p>
    <pre class="_prettyXprint _lang-js">
    {
    "server": "Apache-Coyote/1.1",
    "access-control-allow-origin": "*",
    "access-control-allow-methods": "POST, OPTIONS, GET, PUT, DELETE, PATCH",
    "access-control-allow-headers": "Origin, X-Requested-With, Content-Type, Accept, AuthToken, Locale, TargetVolume",
    "access-control-expose-headers": "Location",
    "content-disposition": "attachment; filename=sdf.PDF",
    "content-description": "File Transfer",
    "accept": "application/octet-stream",
    "vary": "Accept-Encoding",
    "content-encoding": "gzip",
    "content-type": "application/octet-stream",
    "transfer-encoding": "chunked",
    "date": "Fri, 05 Aug 2016 02:42:00 GMT"
    }
    </pre>
  • Clement Wong
    edited August 8, 2016 #8
    <p>As I mentioned in the previous posts, when you using the REST API v2 UI, the download in the response body needs on extra manual step.  I did not see that in the video.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>So instead of (left) clicking on the link you did @ 1:20, please right click on the link.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Then choose the option "Save link as..." (Firefox), or "Save as..." (Chrome).</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Name the file, and give the file a .PDF extension name.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>If you're not using the REST API v2 UI, then you'll need to use the HTML5 download attribute.</p>
  • <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Clement Wong" data-cid="144857" data-time="1470673651">
    <div>
    <p>As I mentioned in the previous posts, when you using the REST API v2 UI, the download in the response body needs on extra manual step.  I did not see that in the video.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>So instead of (left) clicking on the link you did @ 1:20, please right click on the link.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Then choose the option "Save link as..." (Firefox), or "Save as..." (Chrome).</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Name the file, and give the file a .PDF extension name.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>If you're not using the REST API v2 UI, then you'll need to use the HTML5 download attribute.</p>
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    <p>I did as everything you say at above, but it don't work (can't read file downloaded). And i try to use again your code is provided at #2 and recognize that it  only work when i use server on my computer but don't work when i use server at my LAN (outside my computer). It can't get <strong><span>xhr</span><span style="color:rgb(102,102,0);">.</span><span>response </span></strong><span>(null). Thank for help</span></p>
  • Clement Wong
    <p>One thing that comes to mind when you say that it works on the iHub server, but not on the LAN is due to <span><em>Cross-Origin Resource Sharing</em></span>.  You said that you're getting a null for xhr.response, which could occur because of the <span>limit by the same origin policy.</span></p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>To provide you with better response time and further assistance, I recommend that you contact your local OpenText Analytics support center.  Here is a list for reference (<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.actuate.com/resources/support/global-support-centers/'>http://www.actuate.com/resources/support/global-support-centers/</a>). </p>
  • var xhr = new XMLHttpRequest();
    xhr.open('GET', 'https://abc.com:8001/api/v2/files/'+id+'/download?base64=false', true);
    xhr.setRequestHeader("AuthToken", localStorage.getItem('actuateRestAuthId'));
    xhr.responseType = "blob";
    xhr.onreadystatechange = function() {
        if (xhr.readyState == 4) {
            var link = document.createElement('a'), url = URL.createObjectURL(xhr.response);
            link.href = url;
            link.download = "Client Portfolio.jpg";
            link.click();
        }
    };
    xhr.send(null);