Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Multiple stacked column bar charts for fixed-size groups of optional Y series values
tinad
<p>Hello,</p>
<p>I'm trying to generate a report for a dataset containing the following fields:</p>
<ul><li>ProJectName</li>
<li>EventId</li>
<li>EventName</li>
<li>StartTime</li>
</ul><p>For each ProjectName, I need to generate a stacked column bar chart having on X axis StartTime and on Y axis the count of EventId grouped by EventName (See the attached file).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
micajblock
<p>I am going to voice my opinion here. Don't do it!! Period! From a visualization perspective any stacked bar chart is completely useless with more than a few series. The point of a bar char is to be able to visually compare the size of the bars. As soon as you add multiple series to a stacked bar chart it becomes impossible to compare values.</p>
<p>Another very important note is that since the X axis is a date time the chart should be a line so one can see the trend.</p>
<p>If I was given this data what I would do is let the user select up to 5 events for a specific project and them use a line chart . That way the user can both compare the values and see a trend.</p>
tinad
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="mblock" data-cid="146029" data-time="1479487496">
<div>
<p>I am going to voice my opinion here. Don't do it!! Period! From a visualization perspective any stacked bar chart is completely useless with more than a few series. The point of a bar char is to be able to visually compare the size of the bars. As soon as you add multiple series to a stacked bar chart it becomes impossible to compare values.</p>
<p>Another very important note is that since the X axis is a date time the chart should be a line so one can see the trend.</p>
<p>If I was given this data what I would do is let the user select up to 5 events for a specific project and them use a line chart . That way the user can both compare the values and see a trend.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for your answer.</p>
<p>I agree wiith you. The stacked bar chart with so many events is completely useless, and my goal is just to reduce the number of events used to build the chart (also 5 as you suggest could be ok). My problem is that I don't want to leave to the user the task to choose the subset of events to use to build the chart, but I want automatically split the chart in more charts, each one built using a fixed-size subset of events.</p>
micajblock
<p>Try grouping the report on event name and change the interval to 'Interval' and use 5.</p>
tinad
<p>I tried to follow your suggestion without success.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please find in attachment a little example built using the ClassicModels dataset.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
micajblock
<p>See attached example. The trick was to create a counter for the series. Look at the script on the data set. Then you have able with the grouping.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.S. I still think this is a completely useless chart because there is no way to compare values from the different charts.</p>
tinad
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="mblock" data-cid="146115" data-time="1480003414">
<div>
<p>See attached example. The trick was to create a counter for the series. Look at the script on the data set. Then you have able with the grouping.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.S. I still think this is a completely useless chart because there is no way to compare values from the different charts.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p>Many many thanks! It works exactly as I wanted!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Really, I completely agree with you on the lack of usefulness of this kind of chart, but this format is an explicit request of a customer and, <span>as far as I'm concerned, I have fullfilled my purpose <span>thanks to your precious support.</span></span></p>