SAXParseException - Premature end of file

zsh
zsh
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>Hi Experts,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am running a Birt 4 Drill-Through report on Tomcat 6 server and <strong>occasionally </strong>receive "SAXParseException - Premature end of file" error popup dialog in IE 10 browser.</p>
<p>Next attempt of generating report usually successful, although, the user needs to set up parameters again.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have googled up this issue, however, suggested solutions are not yet applicable for this birt version.</p>
<p>And also, this problem might be caused by improper configuration of the report.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any clue appreciated.</p>
<div>[sharedmedia=core:attachments:13954]</div>
<p> </p>
SAX.bmp 329.5K

Comments

• Clement Wong
    Clement Wong E mod
    edited December 12, 2016 #2
    <p>What's the exact version of open source BIRT that you are using?  4.2.1?  4.5.0?  4.6.0?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Are you able to recreate the error using the Classic Models database?  Or can you able attach the parent report to this thread?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Does the issue occur with other browsers such as Chrome, or Firefox?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Does the issue occur with IE10 when the reports are deployed to Tomcat?  That is, does the issue occur in the Designer?</p>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • <p>Hello Clement,</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks for the quick response.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>- I have difficulties to determine accurately the BIRT runtime version used in deployment, however, I assume that it is 4.4.1. Could you please advise?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>- I am able to recreate the issue even using Classic Models database, too.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>- I have tested with Chromium and Opera  - no error. Unfortunately, IE10 is the only option for users.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>- It seems, the issue occurs only when the report is deployed to either local PC or remote server environment - but not in the Designer. (Although, it is difficult to perfectly evaluate because of the random manner of occurance.)</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>The failure message doesn't contain any stack trace, unfortunately.</p>
    <p>The report is recursive as the invoked and linked/called report is always the same</p>
  • <p>To determine, the version of BIRT, one option is to go into your ...webapps\birt\WEB-INF\lib and look for "org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.x.x.jar".  For example, "org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.5.0.jar".  Or under the same directory for the file "org.eclipse.birt.axis.overlay_4.x.x.vYYYYMMDDhhmm.jar".  For example, "org.eclipse.birt.axis.overlay_4.5.0.v201506092134.jar"</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Can you please attach the .rptdesign with Classic Models that you've used to recreate the issue?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>So specific to IE10 and Tomcat 6?  Are you able to test with a later version of Tomcat?  Tomcat6 will reach EOL by the end of this year.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>What version of Java are you running with Tomcat6?</p>
  • <p>The BIRT runtime version is 4.5.0</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>The experimental Drill-through report implementation with Classic Models:</p>
    <div>[sharedmedia=core:attachments:13962]</div>
    <div>[sharedmedia=core:attachments:13961]</div>
    <div> </div>
    <div>Try to use controls (i.e., "Toggle table of contents", "Next page", "Last page") to see failure message...</div>
    <p> </p>
    <p>The Java version is "1.7.0_09-icedtea" with Tomcat 6 on linux server and 1.8.0_25 with Tomcat v8.0 on Windows PC.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Currently, IE 10 and IE 11 are options only.</p>
  • <p>Hi Clement,</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>According to my latest experience, the issue looks like a kind of "timeout". It seems to be possible to recreate the issue and invoke the failure message as follows.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Generating the report yields a view in the browser with usual controls (i.e., "Toggle table of contents", "Next page", "Last page").</p>
    <p>After 10 - 20 seconds approximately, the view becomes "stale", because controls won't work as expected while generating the error message. (Although, internal drill-through links remain operable.) </p>
    <p>After reloading the page the failed operation can be repeated successfully.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I could recreate the failure in IE10, but neither in Opera nor in Chromium browser.</p>
    <p>I couldn't recreate in the internal viewer of Eclipse (even if it runs IE10).</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Regards,</p>
    <p>Zsolt</p>
  • Clement Wong
    Clement Wong E mod
    edited January 3, 2017 #7
    <p>Sorry, I have been out of the office and will take a look into recreating this issue with versions that you have provided, but I may not have IE10 available to test.  Will have IE11 and use IE 10 compatibility mode (via F12 developer toolbar).</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>On my end, I tested with JRE version 1.7.0_45 with Tomcat 8.0.30 running on a Windows 7 with BIRT 4.5.0.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>-- Chrome did not show any issues with the TOC/next page.</p>
    <p>-- IE 11 (default Edge mode) did not show any issues.</p>
    <p>-- IE 11 (using IE10 compatibility did not show any issues.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Are you able to test with IE10 and use a lower IE compatibility mode?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Does IE11 work for you with default Edge mode?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Does IE11 work for you with lower compatibility modes?</p>
    <p>
     </p>
  • <p>Hello Clement,</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks for the clarification.</p>
    <p>I have been playing with runtime version 4.5.0 to reconstruct the report application from scratch. There would be an authentication module to be added to the runtime/report webapplication.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <ul><li>Now it seems the additional development is responsible for the annoying message (Only with IE browser).</li>
    <li>The message seems to be independent from the report. The message appears either at default reports (eg. test.rptdesign) shipped with runtime package (activating the TOC button).</li>
    <li>The timeout is 20 sec approximately and page reload cures the problem.</li>
    </ul><p> </p>
    <p>There isn't any XML-relation at the authenication module applied, then, how to interpret the message "SAX parse exception"?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Regards,</p>
    <p>Zsolt</p>
  • <p>PS.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>The IE10 compatibility view has the same behaviour showing error message.</p>
  • <p>In addition</p>
    <p>warning message comes in Eclipse Console while launching (any) report:</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>org.apache.axis.utils.JavaUtils isAttachmentSupported</p>
    <p>WARNING: Unable to find required classes (javax.activation.DataHandler and javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart). Attachment support is disabled.</p>
  • <p>Hi Clement,</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>It seems that Tomcat configuration makes it possible to expand the timeout. A bigger value of "<em>connectionTimeout/keepAliveTimeout</em>" in "<em>server.xml</em>" makes the application usable for users. Unfortunately, the error message keeps popping up after a longer time period...</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks for the support.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Regards,</p>
    <p>Zsolt</p>