Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Visibility property for a table header.
alecsia
<p>Good evening!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is there a way to make invisible one (having at least two) header in a table on the second and subsequent pages?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Usually I just create two tables, one for header which I don’t want to repeat, and the second for a repeatable one. But I don’t want to do this anymore, it is very time-consuming to align them, plus, even when I use width property of tables and their cells, I still don’t get perfect results, there always will be at least millimeter of lopsided border.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I tried using variable, scripting, but nothing seems to work!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is there any solution for this?</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
micajblock
<p>The issue is that the table header is created only once, hence on the second page all variables are still the same. Is the number of rows on each page fixed? My idea is to create a dummy group based on the page break and then use group headers instead of table headers.</p>
alecsia
<p>No, unfortunately, the number of rows can differ a lot… The last column contains author’s resolution, so it can be one line long as well as ten lines…</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have just begun to copy the completed table and delete all excessive rows so only header from the first and body from the second are left. This works, but if I make a slight adjustment I need to create a new header on the second table and copy it again… This can be very time-consuming, but at least it is a workaround which helps to get a clean table.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Simply, it would be nice to get a better and faster solution for this… </p>
micajblock
<p>Yes it would be nice. I have a workaround that might work for you. The idea is to create a dummy group with a key of 1. Essentially this creates a single group for the table. In this group un-check the property of repeat header. See attached.</p>
micajblock
<p>Thank you Matthew Lamaster for finding a much simpler solution. <span style="color:rgb(31,73,125);">Change the Header Row’s advanced Property “Repeatable†to “false†(See image below).</span></p>
alecsia
<p>The last method doesn’t work for me or I am using it a bit wrong… I have two headers in my table, I need one to be repeatable while the other not. It seems they don’t follow these Advanced instructions… When I uncheck “repeat header†in the PageBreak property while giving them different “Repeatable†values, they either both disappear or appear (if “repeat header†is checked), they don’t react differently. Probably there is something else?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I will try to use a dummy group, I hope this will work!</p>
micajblock
<p>Attached is an example of setting repeatable to false</p>
alecsia
<p>Is there a way to use this method without defining a page break interval??? This works exactly like I want if I do, but I can’t, because I simply don’t know my interval… I even counted my rows: there were only 7 on the first page and 23 on the second… </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I tried dummy group. It worked well too, but I guess there is no way of creating a group above a header? Because I need the first header to be non-repeatable, and in this case I can apply this only for my second header, unfortunately... I even tried to create two groups, but of course, this didn’t work since I grouped it on 1 too…</p>
micajblock
<p>I do not understand what the page break interval has to do with this.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In regards to the dummy group. Use 1 for the first group and 2 for the second since they are fixed there will be no breaks.</p>
alecsia
<p>The Repeatable method stops working if I set the page break interval on 1000 even in your sample design. It hides my headers only after a page break... Usually I don't get any visible results, because my interval is always on 1000. But when I start playing with it, I see how everything works. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Page break is everything, I guess. Because dummy groups works absolutely the same. If I set an interval on 20-40, I get the interval in my report (where I don't need it at all), plus my second dummy group repeats the header I want while the first one is seen only on the first page. Exactly like I want... These both methods work very well, but only in correspondence with the page break interval... </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Previously I even tried to use a variable (var[""]=0), I created a group with something like "var[""]++" and again, it worked perfectly if I set "normal" page break interval... </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't understand how this works. The report treats it as if it has only one page without any break if I set it on 1000, it doesn't understand the command to repeat a header in this case, but I have a PageNumber in my Master Page and it works correctly! Every page I get 1,2,3, it doesn't care what interval I have. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am not sure, but can this issue be connected with the BIRT version I am using? </p>
micajblock
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="alecsia" data-cid="146477" data-time="1483787971">
<div>
<p>The Repeatable method stops working if I set the page break interval on 1000 even in your sample design. It hides my headers only after a page break... Usually I don't get any visible results, because my interval is always on 1000. But when I start playing with it, I see how everything works. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>
<p>What do you mean stops working. Is it not the point that it hides the header after the first page? Is this for export? I really do not understand what your issue is at this point.</p>
Matthew L.
<p>alecsia,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Reading through your previous posts, I believe you are modifying the "Repead Header" option in the "Page Break" property of the Table.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What Mica and I are suggesting is not the "Repeat Header" option in the "Page Break" property of the table (See screenshot).</p>
<p>We are suggesting applying an "Advanced" property called "Repeatable" on the Individual Header Row you want to display only once (See other screenshot).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If this solution is not working as you would like it to, please upload an example demonstrating the issue along with a mocked up image of what you are wanting it to look like so that we have a better understanding of the desired output.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
alecsia
<p>I have created an example: a yellow header should not repeat, a red one should.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don’t touch Page Break property of a table, the feature is checked and Page Break Interval is set to 40 as usual.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yellow header: Advanced – Repeatable – false.</p>
<p>Red header: Advanced – Repeatable – true.</p>
<p>Run – View Report – As DOC: the result is good, the header is hidden.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But the problem is that I don’t need a page break interval, I usually set it to 1000. The moment I change it – I see the header I don’t need on the second page.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have attached the desirable outcome: and again, a yellow one is non-repeatable, a red one is. Plus, I don’t have a page break. This result is achieved by creating two separate tables.</p>
micajblock
<p>your design works for me. see attached images.</p>
alecsia
<p>It works for me too in Web Viewer (even if I set the interval to 1000), but I need DOC only. </p>
micajblock
<p>works for me in DOC as well. What version are you using?</p>
alecsia
<p>It seems you still have a page break interval set to 40. This is why it works.</p>
<p>I have attached how it looks with it set to 1000.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am using old Eclipse, Version: 3.7.2.</p>
micajblock
<p>First of all why set the page break interval at all. If it is fixed layout you can set it to 0 and the page break will happen based on the size of the master page. In this scenario if you run the report first then export it works OK. If you run to DOC from the designer it does not work. I suspect the reason is that when running from the designer to DOC directly it uses the runandrender task instead of 2 tasks first run (to generate correctly) and then render the output. Are you using an application to run these reports?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Attached is my current version of the report (page break set to 0)</p>
alecsia
<p>When I tried it via the application, it worked! But now every page has tables of different sizes((( I set the bottom margin of my MasterPage to 0, but still half of the first page is blank... Second page is better, third is perfect, the table covers the whole page there. Why does it work differently on every page?</p>
chahrazed
<p>hi alecsia please how can i post a new topic to ask my question</p>
micajblock
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="alecsia" data-cid="146580" data-time="1484721785">
<div>
<p>When I tried it via the application, it worked! But now every page has tables of different sizes((( I set the bottom margin of my MasterPage to 0, but still half of the first page is blank... Second page is better, third is perfect, the table covers the whole page there. Why does it work differently on every page?</p>
</div>
</blockquote>
<p>No idea. Works for me. See attached</p>
alecsia
<p>You are right, it indeed works... Thank you a lot for your help! I have understood the concept, will work with that and try to adjust to my needs!</p>