Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
BIRT report terrible performance due to unknown reason
D_Petrov
<p>Hello,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have BIRT report, which is taking data from a stored procedure in MS SQL Server 2012 (report is consisting of a pie chart and a simple table). OS Win Server 2012, Tomcat 8.5, Birt Viewer 4.5 and my dev PC has Version: Luna Release (4.4.0). I saw that around 14% of CPU is used and around 28% of RAM.<br>
Procedures are running for about 3-5 seconds in SSMS with the heaviest scenario, but the BIRT report is running more than 20 seconds and more than 2 in the heaviest scenario, which is unacceptable.</p>
<p>I checked the execution plan of SP and put some non-clustered indexes, but nothing changed from BIRT perspective. Also heap size was increased to java -Xmx2048m and again no better performance.<br>
To me the issue should be somewhere in the BIRT, but what it is - I don`t know.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have the feeling that it is related with some Tomcat or viewer setting.<br>
Any ideas?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.S. The strange thing is that I have an old machine with 4.4 BIRT viewer, weaker CPU and less RAM.</p>
<p>The Stored procedures are running much slower, but the report is generated within 15-20 seconds, which is much faster than the case with the more powerful machine described above.<br><br>
Regards,<br>
Dragomir</p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
telco-schilling
<p>Hi Dragomir,</p>
<p>I am not an expert nor professional programmer but this sounds similar to issues I had with some reports. I was getting 10,000 rows of data in my SQL result and than trying to aggregate and average this in BIRT. That caused report to run out of heap space.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>After reading posts here and in DevShare on performance tuning I found I should do the aggregation and averaging in the SQL server. I modified my dataset queries and now had about 100 rows of averaged data for BIRT to process into my charts and tables.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>regards,</p>
<p>Paul</p>
D_Petrov
<p>Hi Paul,</p>
<p>Thanks for reply.</p>
<p>The data is aggregated in the SQL, I use BIRT only for preview and there is almost no functionality inside, except for some HTML and javascript. All I do is SP call with some parameters.</p>
<p>Maybe some BIRT or Tomcat setting is missing...any thoughts?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Regards,</p>
<p>Dragomir</p>