Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Arabic Font Not Appearing in Birt 3.7.1 PDF Report
Hassan Nehme
<p>Hello,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>- Environment: Birt 3.7.1 / Maximo 7.5.0.4 / Sun Solaris 10</p>
<p> </p>
<p>- Problem: Arabic Font Not Appearing in Birt 3.7.1 PDF Report generated from Maximo 7.5.0.4 Application running on Sun Solaris 10.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>- Details:</p>
<p>1- Birt Viewer is displaying the report correctly with Arabic font as HTML and MS Word, but PDF is eliminating the Arabic characters completely.</p>
<p>2- I changed the encoding in both files fontsConfig.xml and fontsConfig.xml from cp1252 to cp1256, in the generated PDF file from Maximo the Arabic letter were replaced by '?'</p>
<p>3- I changed the encoding from to utf-8 as per advise in one of the web notes, but again Arabic disappeared from the PDF.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kindly advise.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Attached are the fontConfig files before we modified it.</p>
<p>
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Clement Wong
<p>Does this report show the Arabic in the PDF from a Windows environment? You can try generating the PDF from the Designer on a Windows machine.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can you please attach the modified fontsConfig_pdf.xml? Did you modify fontsConfig.xml?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What's the font name? What's the .TTF file name? Where is it located?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Did you follow steps outlined like this?</p>
<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='
http://developer.actuate.com/community/forum/index.php?/topic/39439-missing-vietnamese-alphabets-in-pdf/?p=144792'>http://developer.actuate.com/community/forum/index.php?/topic/39439-missing-vietnamese-alphabets-in-pdf/?p=144792</a></p>
;
Hassan Nehme
<p>Thank you Clement.<br><br>
The PDF report shows the Arabic correctly from windows environment.<br><br>
We have created new folder on Sun server: '/u01/app/mxeam/fonts' with required access and permission to the user, to this folder we copied the below fonts files from a windows 7 machine 'C:\Windows\Fonts\'.<br><br>
arial.ttf<br>
arialbd.ttf<br>
arialbi.ttf<br>
ariali.ttf<br>
ARIALN.TTF<br>
ARIALNB.TTF<br>
ARIALNBI.TTF<br>
ARIALNI.TTF<br>
ariblk.ttf<br>
cour.ttf<br>
courbd.ttf<br>
courbi.ttf<br>
couri.ttf<br>
times.ttf<br>
timesbd.ttf<br>
timesbi.ttf<br>
timesi.ttf<br><br>
Attached are the modified files fontsConfig.xml and fontsConfig_pdf.xml.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I tried the font 'Times New Roman' and 'Arial'.<br><br>
Clement Wong
<p>Where did you modify fontsConfig.xml?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Did you restart the app after modifying?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As a test to see if Arial is being used in the PDF output... Create a simple report with a label using Arial font with ASCII text. Generate the PDF on your server. We should see the font output as Arial. If it's not working, we'll see a Serif font (Times New Roman like) instead.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, as a test, can you modify fontsConfig.xml and point to the TTF directly, adding as the first entry like the following:</p>
<pre class="_prettyXprint">
<path path="/u01/app/mxeam/fonts/arial.ttf"/></pre>
Hassan Nehme
<p>A - fontsConfig.xml and fontsConfig_pdf.xml files were extracted from the below jar file, modified and then re-packaged within our application ear file and re-deployed on the weblogic server v.10.3.6.<br><br><br>
- .\webmodule\WEB-INF\birt\platform\plugins\org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.fonts_3.7.1.v20110905.jar<br><br>
B - The application services were restarted after the deployment.<br><br>
C - After adding '<path path="/u01/app/mxeam/fonts/arial.ttf"/>' to the fontsConfig.xml file and re-deployed the application, I have performed the requested test with ASCII text, from the generated PDF, below are the font properties:<br><br>
Font: ArialMT (Embedded Subset)<br>
Type: TrueType(CID)<br>
Encoding: Identity-H<br><br>
I have performed the same test with Arabic text (Arial Font), '?' is displayed in the PDF file, the font properties listed below:<br><br>
Font: ArialMT (Embedded Subset)<br>
Type: TrueType(CID)<br>
Encoding: Identity-H<br><br>
Font: Time-Roman<br>
Type: Type1<br>
Encoding: Custom<br>
Actual Font: TimesNewRomanPSMT<br>
Actual Font Type: TrueType<br>
<br>
I have performed the same test with Arabic text but Times New Roman font, '?' is displayed in the PDF file, the font properties is listed below:<br><br>
Font: TimesNewRomanPSMT (Embedded Subset)<br>
Type: TrueType(CID)<br>
Encoding: Identity-H<br><br>
Font: Time-Roman<br>
Type: Type1<br>
Encoding: Custom<br>
Actual Font: TimesNewRomanPSMT<br>
Actual Font Type: TrueType<br><br><br>
Maybe encoding is something that we need to look at it.<br><br>
Thank you.</p>
Clement Wong
<p>ArialMT that is expected. The Time-Roman means that the font for Arabic didn't get picked up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Did the ASCII report show the Arial font properly?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can you please attach your simple .rptdesign with Arabic?</p>
Hassan Nehme
<p>The ASCII report showed the Arial font properly.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have attached my Arabic simple report (ver. 3.7.1).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I couldn't run your report as it is having the version 3.7.2, but any way I have updated it with Arabic text and attached it in this post.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>
Clement Wong
<p>Since Arial is working for ASCII, then the next step is to see if the Arabic in Arial font is working.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In your fontsConfig.xml under <span style="font-family:'courier new', courier, monospace;"><font-encodings></span>, do you have an entry like the following? If not, add one in. Redeploy, and test the Arial Font Test (with the Arabic text).</p>
<pre class="_prettyXprint">
<encoding font-family="Arial" encoding="Cp1256" /> </pre>
<p>1256 is the code page for Arabic.</p>
Hassan Nehme
<p>I have added the suggested line to fontsConfig.xml and re-deployed the application, '?' is still coming, below are the generated PDF font properties (the simple report is having only one label with Arabic Text):</p>
<p> </p>
<p> Font: ArialMT (Embedded Subset)<br>
Type: TrueType<br>
Encoding: Custom</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you.</p>
Hassan Nehme
<p>have tried also the encoding iso-8859-6 but issue not resolved.</p>
Clement Wong
<p>Unfortunately, I don't have a "Birt 3.7.1 / Maximo 7.5.0.4 / Sun Solaris 10" environment to test.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Are you able to replicate the issue without Maximo? Just trying to pare down the components. Can you deploy BIRT to Tomcat on the same machine and test?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Or replicate the issue on a different non-Windows OS such as Linux?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>To attempt to replicate on my end, it looks like I can download a VM of Sun Solaris 10 ( Are you using SPARC, or x86? I would be able to run the later.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What app server does Maximo 7.5.0.4 use?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What version of Java?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>NOTE: I did testing on environments I do have such as iHub on CentOS 7, and the Arabic Arial Font test report generates successfully. During this week, I will test in CentOS 6.5 and BIRT 3.7.2 and 3.7.1 with the Arabic Arial Font report in a standard install, and one that has the fonts and updated config files.</p>
Hassan Nehme
<p>Hi Clement,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I didn't try to replicate the issue without Maximo, I will try to setup an environment and replicate the issue on Sun Solaris 10 environment.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We are on Oracle web logic version 10.3.6, Java version is 1.6 rev. 37</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you.</p>